1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fert orders due by Dec 31st

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Dec 29, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We asked for quotes from four different distributors. So far, only ONE has responded, and that was over a month ago, and their prices have not changed (their prices should be cheaper, but???) --- Now I'm running out of time?

We paid double for our late fall fert compared to what it costs now, so I don't wanna get gouged again.

Should I wait 'til January/February? Take a chance? I'm talkin' 66 tons just for our 'Round One'. NOTE: We are able to disregard prepay/early order/early delivery if we can save a buck. Anything on the "grapevine"?

Why has no one else offered quotes? (BTW they say they're still waiting)??

rscvp, thanks

2. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Yep, It seems like a game of musical chairs right now.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

We team up with the Nutrients Plus salesguys often, in the meetings we are having with them they say they cannot commit to 2009 pricing until the middle of January

Seems a little odd as they have almost always wanted spring preorders before the end of the calendar year

I think you are right, they cannot get finalized pricing from the NPK suppliers that blend their fertilizer. It will intersting to see what happens as everything NPK that was made in the late summer and early fall was at jumbo prices.

That stock obviosly has not gone through the distribution system yet

If demand is way down, they may have to fire sale the products but the costs to make fertilizer are still more than 2008. I'm glad we don't have to depend on that supply chain

tough decision, if you wait too long you may not be able to get product as everyone will be ordering at once. I think there will be a shortage in the late spring as everyone is waiting, they will run through available stocks and have to have more blended. these things take time

4. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

I did my early order with JDL about a week ago. My prices were slightly higher than what I early ordered at in Dec. of 2007. I did order the bare minimum on what we will need. JDL assured me that a price reduction WAS NOT coming any time soon. They did say ( I don't have it in writing) that they would do a price adjustment up until the time of delivery ( end of Feb.) if prices should drop. I needed to know our cost for 2009 in order to set pricing for our customers for the season. I also feel more comfortable that the our fert is in the warehouse. Guess I bought peace of mind too. I still don't think the big price drop is coming anytime soon. The suppliers are holding material produced with raw materials at a high price. They know we all need it ( farmers included). Everybody is waiting for the bottom to drop out of something that just will not fall. I think prices will come down. They have some already. Once the market starts buying again we will see a significant movement downward. Gut feelings only. No crystal ball. No charts, polls, government or industry reports to confuse or back up any of my great wisdom. :laugh:

5. jkranium

jkranium LawnSite Member

Thats funny I heard from our regional JDL rep that we can expect another price drop in January. I also heard that from another supplier that I used exclusively last year.

6. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I got pricing from my preferred supplier already. They are not much higher than Jan 2008 prices. Actually, the Merit +fert combo is down to $26.74/bag:)
    46-0-0 is at $12/bag... Too bad I wont need any anytime soon:cry:

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

the 46-0-0 treats how much area per bag?

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

23M at 1 lb/N per thousand.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Those are some VERY good prices.

I usually get some sweet pricing, but so far all I need in some grub control and I havn't gotten anything like that. Mine has been in mid 30's so far.

I would snag some of the urea! If in plastic...and kept dry you won't have any problem with it setting up. I would say it won't get much cheaper then that! But now with that said...it will tank! :laugh: Which would also be great!

10. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I'm still sitting on about a pallet of urea that I bought at the bargain rock bottom price of $19.50 a bag in October:laugh: Funny, at the time I was thinking about stockpiling more, but I needed the room for pallets of salt. Who knows what will happen next:confused: