1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fert Pest Herb Pricing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Feb 16, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Ok, so I have figured these rates out, but I am just getting into the application business, so I am not sure if they are fair prices or not. I am just 20 and since I have been doing my own lawn care stuff since I was ten, I never had a chance to go work with someone else.

Here goes, I think they might be too high, but let me know.

Prices based on a 3500 sq. Ft. minimum
    Grub control $50 min. 15 p/K after
    Crabgrass spray-post-emergent $50 min. 15 p/K after
    Fungacide pre and curative $50 min. $15 p/1k
    Broadleaf spray-post emergent $35 min. $4 p/1k

Based on a 6000 sq. ft. minimum

lime $30 min $5 p/1k
    Fert (including pre emergent dimension) $35 minimum $6.66 p/1k

2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My first question would be do you have the proper license and insurance to be a applicator?...If the answer is no, then you have some work to do before considering pricing. If the answer is yes, then good luck with the new part of your business and I'm sure LCOs from your area will give their opinion about your pricing.:)

3. hobbsd

from west wi

License, YES, but I still need help, please:confused:

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

looking better! I like to work from my price for the regular application program to price the extras. say the regular app price is $40 and they need grub control I just add 50% so the GC price is $60. for aeration, fungicide I double the regular app price. its a simple way to figure the prices on the extra services.

5. hobbsd

from west wi

Indy turf.... do you double the initial fee, as well as the price per 1K after??

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Mach II and Pre-em + fert

5 to 12 K - cost x 4
    13 to 20 K - cost x 3
    21 to 35 K - cost x 2
    36 K and up - cost x 1.75

Weed spray apps.

5 to 12 K - cost x 10
    13 to 20 K - cost x 8
    21 to 35 K - cost x 6
    36 K and up - cost x 4

Straight fert.

5 to 12 K - cost x 4
    13 to 20 K - cost x 3
    21 to 35 K - cost x 2.5
    36 K and up - cost x 2

All I did was figure out my cost per 1,000 for each product, than I can multiply that cost depending on the product and the total sq. ft. using the chart I came up with. The 5,000 sq. ft. rate would be my minimum charge (anything less than 5K gets charged that same rate, however some really small lots may get more of a break)

indyturf: you only charge 50% more for GC? I find that to be my most expensive product I apply. If I only did it for 50% more than even my pre-em app I'd still be loosing money! My profit margins for the GC I keep very tight just to keep the cost for it reasonable for the customer... The product I have bought in the past is Lesco's Mach II with 24-5-11 fert at a cost of almost $55 a bag! (that's $4.58 per K my cost)

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I do both summer fert and grub control together. if the regular price for 5k is $40 for the fert. I add 50% for grub price = $60 total cost is $40 + $60= $100 for the app.

8. Jason Rose

ooooo, i gotcha! It always gets confusing to me when adding percentages gets involved.

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like "cut off" points in rate charts. Using Jason's price schedule you run into this problem:

Say a guy has a 12K sf lawn. Cost of fert is $1.00/msf. 12 x $1.00 = $12.00 (cost) X 4 = $48.00

The guy next door has a 13K sf lawn, so 13 x $1.00 = $13.00 (cost) X 3 = $39.00

. . . so you're charging the guy with a bigger lawn $9.00 less.

Why not keep it simple? How about keeping YOUR COST 20% of your price?
    Bigger lawns? OK, I won't get greedy, 25% . . . slide the scale a little, if you like or need to. But know your costs and know what you need to make.

10. Jason Rose

Yeah, the scale has it's flaws... Pretty much have to adjust things here and there as I go. I will have to add things around a bit and see how it works out at 20 to 25% like you said quiet.

Now i remember the reason I abandoned the rate chart I had a couple years ago! Thanks for pointing that out to me... I obviously spaced out!

Ok, I don't mean to be dumb here, but throw me a bone... How do you do the math to figure that out? Say my COST is $2.08 per 1,000 for the preemergent. I want that total to be about 20% of the total I charge, right? So I multiply 2.08 by 500% to come up with $10.40 per 1,000 to charge the customer. Is that right?