1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fert. prices up this year?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bart may, Feb 15, 2005.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I just got a quote back from my supplier saying that my slow release fert. went from $14.75 a bag to $16.50. Has anyone else had this type of increase? Am I getting hosed?
  2. kfish

kfish LawnSite Member

Yes - I have seen that. I'm doing approximately 175000 sf. in central Indiana. For the hard core fert experts out there, who have done this for years, knowing what you know now, (if you were starting over again) what advise would you give as far as what you would buy to do your basic 5-6 rounds along with what to use.
    For example, I have a program (receipts from a neighbor) from a local very successful LCO here. I'm sure they do hundreds of thousands of sf. The 1st app is 19-0-0, 2nd - 6th apps is 28-2-3. Step 3 shows that they sprayed 1 gal of Surface Insecticide (Talstar .069). On 5 of the steps they spot sprayed weeds and used 1 gal of Trimec. The 7th step was a Potash Winterizer Treatment. I see no preemergent for crabgrass control or mid-summer grub treatment other than the 1 gal of Talstar. Now - I don't know if the above goes on every yard they do but would suspect it is typical for most. So I'm thinking about focusing on a program like this. I know adjustments need to be made as needed for turf diseases, insects, etc. Should I just simply call everywhere I can think of to get the best prices I can find? Again experts, knowing what you know now, starting over, what would be your approach and actions from here if you had say 15-20 props to do?
  3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Bart...yes fert prices are up. And yes, if you pay $16.50 for fert (no other combo like preemergent or insect control...just straight fert) you are getting hosed.

KFish...heres my advice. When you sit with your vendor and order product never, ever say we ONLY treat 175000sf.

Instead say, "I need product for 175000sf. This is what I do per round currently. I FULLY EXPECT to be doing 175000sf PER DAY within the next couple of years. I need you, Mr Vendor, to give me price breaks NOW to help me grow. And Mr Vendor, please keep in mind that when I start to purchase enough product for 175k per DAY I will keep in mind the vendors that are willing to work with me NOW."

It is you and me and everyone else on this forum that keeps these vendors in business. Never allow them to have an attitude that THEY are helping you....it is YOU who is helping them!
  4. bart may

from montana

That price of $16.50 is for a 21-7-14 40% SCU. I for fun looked on Lesco's sight and it looks like something similiar is $25 a bag. Does that sound right?
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I can see selling 7 rounds a year in Indpls, unless your TGCL, if you want the name of a good supplier PM me, I don't want to post and get in trouble.
  6. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

bart, prices quoted on lesco's site is for the ignorant. They want you to believe it is a good deal. You know better since you have found a vendor that is considerably cheaper.

Now go into your local lesco and tell them you are not ignorant and you need to grow your business...and no way you can grow if you had to pay $25. Tell them you are making headway paying $16.50...but to really grow (which will benefit the vendor, right? more growth means larger purchases) you need them to beat that $16.50.

then when they do beat the price....go back to your vendor that originally quoted $16.50 and tell them lesco is willing to work with you...but you'd like to be loyal to them...but bottom line is you need to make $$$.
    Its all a game. Much like buying a used car, bounce back and forth from dealer to dealer and you will end up with a better price.
  7. KLR and TSM are dispensing some great advice here.

I will only add that the methods they describe worked (and continue working) for me.

At some point, I have a vendor tell me they can't go any lower. If I believe the vendor then I make my buying decision based on the price and quality of the product each vendor is offering.

Just keep in mind that the vendors who sell you product may act like they have a friendly relationship with you. But truthfully, the relationship is adversarial, and should only last as long as it is beneficial for you to have.
  8. bart may

from montana

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate being able to bounce ideas and problems off other people. Being from Montana we don't even have a Lesco supplier so that is why I looked it up on the net. I believe that I could get it shipped to me without too much trouble. I just felt that for my local supplier to jump almost $2 a bag was a bit much. I'll keep searching. Thanks again.
  9. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

I have been experiencing 7% to 10% increases here. That's from my regular supplier and every other one I checked with.
  10. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Wholesale price of potash and the P & K have gone up so we get to pay for the price increase also. I used to pay $6.50 for a bag of 19-19-19 and its up 2 bucks a bag now. IF they raise the minimum wage 2 bucks prices for evrything will go up again too.The prices mentioned are wholesale so no middle man to deal with so add another 2 bucks on top of that