Fert pricing and amounts per 1,000 sq. ft.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hermanator, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Need some help guys, if you could. thanx

We have 98% Bermuda lawns. mowing season runs march thru end of October. were wanting to get into the fert and squirt end of it also, so in need of the following or what ever else you can help with.

1. I assume you have a minimum or stop charge and that covers a certain amount of grass already. once that is met, what do you charge for each additional 1,000 sq. ft of turf?

2. How much fert do you put on per 1,000 sq. ft of like 28%?

3. how much do you charge per 1,000 sq. ft?

4. what does it cost per 1,000 sq. ft. for the product?

5. how often do you apply the fert? every 4 weeks, 5 weeks or 6 weeks?

2. tdkx

tdkx LawnSite Member

Very interesting question on price of product. Here is are a couple of tips for you that will get a better price on product.....
    First, start researching products on the Web and know their modes of action and labled rates so you understand what the sales guy is telling you. If you are an idiot and ask a question like "No, just tell me how much stuff to mix in my tank" expect to pay 30-50% MORE than an established LCC.
    Second, be a reasonable guy with the sales guy. Sometimes it seems like they are stupid but they are not. They aren't stupid simply because they control your price based on how you act towards them. Lots of newbies come in to stores and try to intimidate and lie to the salesguy on prices quoted from other suppliers. Not good. The competition always knows the others guys pricing and if you lie to a salesman from one company you can expect that it will filter back to the salesman whom you claimed a quoted price from.(It's not Wal-mart marketing so deal with it. The salesmen all know one another most of the time)
    Lastly, if you are a newbie and you admit it to the salesguy, the salesguy might take some pity on you and give you a decent price. But you should NOT expect the pricing that bigger and more established companies get. You need to pay more to get started...how much more you pay is up to your attitude and your education on what you want to buy. DO NOT make your salesman mad by claiming you are going to go to the local CO-OP to get the "same" product either....I can't tell you how many times I've heard that threat only to never see that guy in the business again.