1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fert. program for a lawn that was seeded in late nov-early dec.2001

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Jan 16, 2002.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i am bidding on a few lawns that were seeded late nov.-early dec. 2001. new construction/seeded and mulched with straw no growth if any..
    what are my options for crabgrass control?
    for this season.
    split apps late?
    i am in n.j.
    thanks anthony
  2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not ask your supplier or manufacturer of the products you use? They are just a phone call away.
  3. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

You can use a product call Drive after the lawn comes up to control weeds. I would use a starter fert for the first two apps, at the full rate. This is what works for hundreds of lawns we did.
  4. greengeezer

greengeezer LawnSite Member

Good news and bad news

The good news is that thanks to lots of new products you have lots of choices.

The bad news is that you have to wait till spring to figure out what to do.

I take it from your post that none of the grass has germinated yet. If so you will have to wait till the soil temps reach the mid 50's or higher before germination will start.

How soon spring comes (assuming we ever get a real winter) and how well the grass comes in will determine what to use.

Diminsion, Drive, or more seed could be in your future. Let us know how it comes out of "winter" and more specific advise can be given
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have you wack those babies with starter fert pretty hard and as soon as conditions allow. Then wait & pray that you can get 1-2 cuts on it before crabs start to pop. I'd use Dimension @>.188 lbs AI/A at the least. This way you catch the little ones post-emerg. Go heavy & water in. No one wants a repeat of Spring 2001. Then if things do get ugly, reach for Drive, Acclaim, or whatever you like to take down the rest.