Fert program for fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craig Turf Management, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Would anyone be willing to share a good program for turf-type tall fescue. I am currently using a plan that my dealer is selling me, but I wanted to hear from some other operators. I am currently selling 5-6 apps, including 2 apps of crabgrass control (Dimension). Would love any and all responses, especially from some of you who work in the southeast.
    Also wondering what else you usually sell your clients.
    Grub control, hort. oils, shrub feedings, fungicides, etc.
    Thank you, Bill

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

1st lose your dealer. 2 apps of Dimension is doing nothing but flushing money down the toilet. It is meant to be a one app season long control. Apply Dimension w/fert (18-0-11 I think) in late Feb/early March and you are covered all summer. Add in 1 app of 24-5-11 w/2% FE in mid-late April. In mid June I give an app of 5-10-31 with 10% Iron. In Sept. 18-24-12 at time of overseeding. Late Oct. 32-5-7. I find that 5 ferts plus one app of lime (if needed always test pH before applying) is plenty as long as you aerate and seed every Sept. By the way you are very near Charlotte, why don't you go to Lesco? They wouldn't sell you 2 apps of Dimension. You are spending way too much on product by doing this. Hope this helps.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sorry Barkely but I must disagree. Remember, different regions have different issues, and I do use a split application of Dimension which is promoted by Lesco & Rohm Haas. I'm using a 19-3-6 mixture in Feb and April, the crabgrass has a little longer window of opportunity here. Remember, Dimension provides roughly a 150 day window of coverage, so if you apply Dimension in Feb. the product is mostly gone by June, that allows crabgrass June, July, and August to germinate. A second application in April provides good coverage thru August therefore preventing "escape" crabgrass. A 2nd app of Dimension is cheaper than Drive!

Here is the Dimension label:

CONTROL OF CRABGRASS
    PREEMERGENCE AND EARLY POSTEMERGENCE CONTROL

This product provides “preemergence” control of crabgrass (including the large, smooth, and southern species) when
    applied prior to the emergence of crabgrass from the ground in established lawns and ornamental turfs. It can also provide “early postemergence” control of crabgrass during the early stages of crabgrass growth after the crabgrass has emerged from the ground. However, it is often difficult to see the very small, early stages of crabgrass in well-established lawns and ornamental turfs. Early postemergence crabgrass control will be obtained only when this product is applied prior to the tillering of crabgrass, which generally corresponds to the time when you can first easily see the crabgrass plants in the lawn or turf. So the practical benefit of this product’s additional, early postemergence activity is that (compared to strictly preemergence crabgrass products) it can give the user a 2-8 week longer period of time (depending on climatic conditions and crabgrass growth rates) to make applications and still control crabgrass.

APPLICATION FREQUENCY AND TIMING
    This product may be applied as a single application, as a split application, or as a sequential application for crabgrass control in the spring, summer, or fall.
    DO NOT apply more than 1.5 fl oz/1000 sq ft (2 qts/A) per application, and no more than 4.5 fl oz/1000 sq ft (6 qts/A)
    per year (2 qts/A in New York) if using split or sequential applications.

SPRING APPLICATIONS
    For applications made in the spring or early summer, this product should be applied at the appropriate rate corresponding to one of the three control programs listed in Table 1, depending on the user’s location, the mowing height of the turfgrass, and whether the use is considered to be preemergence or early postemergence at the time of
    the application. The duration of residual weed control provided by this product is directly related to the total rate applied, but will vary somewhat depending on weather, weed pressure, turfgrass competitiveness, and the user’s
    location within a region.

Split Rate: 0.9375 + 0.9375** 1.125 + 1.125**
    .33 + .33 lb. ai/acre)

**Preemergence applications must be applied as a split application when the rate is greater than 1.5 fl oz/1000 sq ft (2 qts/A). Early postemergence applications are limited to 1.5 fl oz/1000 sq ft (2 qts/A) per application.

Bill, I would go over my program but I think we use the same one. Hey this is my 1500th post!

http://www.rohmhaas.com/businesses/AgChem/PDFfiles/DimensionTO.pdf

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

By the way had more B-day parties to tend to today. I will have your fax to you tomorrow(well today) before noon.

Sorry for the delay. Family has kept me busy :)
    Kris

5. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the response Barkley & Kirby. I was especially glad to hear from you Ray, since we work in the same backyard. You're probably right about using the same program.
    Thanks, Bill

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Good info Ray. I just went to a Lesco seminar where the guys were saying Dimension had season long control with one app. I didn't think the geography would be much of a factor as we are generally 3 degrees cooler than Charlotte so our window should be no more than 10 days different. So if you are using a split app why not just use Pendimethaline? $12/bag vs. $20/bag almost exact same coverage. I know you spray so maybe the cost differential is different.