Fert programs 4 app or 5 app

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 21, 2008.

1. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I'll side with American, TLG, and Runner on this one. They all have great points that I agree with, but American's post hit home with me. That my theory/mission statement all the way

2. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend 4 apps, however have several that only want 3 apps. First app is for crabgrass (granular), second is broadleaf (liquid), third is fert (granular), fourth is broadleaf (liquid). I have had very good results with only two problem lawns the past couple years. Both are very sandy, which causes the crabgrass barrier to break down early. I went in and spot sprayed late summer....crabgrass dead. Customer was going to seed bare areas after that. Would like to hear what others are doing (granular/liquid). With liquid are you guys mixing fert with broadleaf control?

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I use 5 apps. Cornell, the DEC and all other local resources also recommend more frequent apps with less N per app due to the nature of our sandy loam and high water tables, and problems with nitrate levels in our aquifers. I find that after explaining the reason for 5 apps (and pricing my 4 app program nearly as high) it's an easy sell. Every customer is signed up for 5. I use handouts from Cornell to lend credibility to my app program. I also send out a two page handout on ferts written by myself and it seems to work really well.