1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fert. question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenback, Apr 4, 2004.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

if i can go to home depot and fertilize my own lawn when ever i please, why do i need to be licensed in a customer bought the same fert. from h.d. and asks me to put it down????
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I think that home owners should be required take a small course. homeowners do alot of contamination to groundwater. The reason is simple though, money!! the goverment would never allow the fertilizer industry to take a hit, no way!
  3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I agree that homeowners misuse pesticides far more than us pros' However I dont want anymore goverment in my life, both as a business owner and a home owner.

Greenback, dont worry about it, just follow the rules and do it right. Its part of running a business, just like everything else, too many in the landscaping business think insurance, taxes and licencing is optional, and always looking for loopholes.
  4. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda the same way a building contractor is liscensed.
    You could build the house yourself, but if he does it, he needs the piece o' paper.....
  5. goforgreen2

goforgreen2 LawnSite Member

Lord knows I've sold many a homeowner a bag of fert. and explained how the coverage works and how far a bag will go, and have them buy one that will double the coverage and apply it all at once. They should be regulated.
  6. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

In Ga, That is acceptable, because you only have to be licensed if someone is paying you to apply the product, however, I wouldn't want to have to explain that situation to the Agr agent and more than one lawn guy has tried to use the excuse " I applied the product for free" That has never been a valid defense per the Agriculture guy I talked to recently but probably incapable of being objective, or honest for all I know
  7. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

In Mass you need a app licence to apply, or carry pesticides ( in a commercial vechile ) this voids the landscaper sayiing I do it for free.
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

In Texas, once a certain amount of herbicide is reached, usually 1 qt quantities, a license is needed.
    One does not need a license to apply fert only for hire. Any combination of fert and herbicide, or pesticide, requires a license from one of two regulatory agencies.
    With regards to more governmental intrusion into our lives regarding licensing/classes for homeowners is a slippery slope I wouldn't want to walk on.
  9. ChickensDoo

ChickensDoo LawnSite Member

If thats you in your picture i wil do your app for you sweetie.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,.................................................. that's him.:rolleyes: