1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fert question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by touhey33, Jan 19, 2005.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Do I need a liscense to apply granular fertilizer and preventive weed control. I don't wish to apply pesticides, but just like a four step fertilization program. Please Help and explain.

Green Envy Lawn Care
  2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

first, there is a fertilizer forum.

second, i think you dont need a license for STRAIGHT fertilizer. for anything that will kill weeds or any other problems, you do need a license.
  3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

You don't say where you are except for the zip code. Look like you might be from Ohio? If so you DO need a pesticide license to apply fertilizers commercially.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

if you don't get caught. if you are commercial you need a lic if you are doing it for free no prob but try to tell the man you work for free.
  5. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

preventative weed control = pesticide
  6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

minnesota requires a liscence for any commercial application. (service for hire)
  7. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I am from Indiana
  8. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

I would not apply anything to anyones property without it. This is for your protection as well as the customers. Should anything go wrong with the app. pesticide or non pesticide not having a license can only hurt you. Cant say about your state but in most, the tests are straight forward and easily obtained. Look into your states dept. of Ag. for requirements and I think you will find what you need.
  9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am in Indiana too and fully licensed. PM me and I will give you all of the information that you need to be legal. Please take this seriously!! I wish someone could have helped me this way!
  10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I'm also in Indiana and yes you do have to be certified and have a license and insured to apply fert.weed control, or round-up on curbs... check with the IOSC website to answer your questions. :)