fert question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobwright007, Mar 16, 2005.

1. bobwright007

bobwright007 LawnSite Member

I am brand new at fertilizing i just passed my pesticide test.
    I had a customer call today and he wants to add a one time application of fertilizer to his yard sometime in may before a big barbeque he is having. He is wanting to basically green up his lawn. We are loacated around kansas city and he has a blue grass lawn mixed with red fescue. he yard is approx 36,000 sq/ft

Basically what i need to know is what kind of fert will be best for quickly greening up blue grass.

another question for me is how long does it take for plugs from aeration to break down.

i would love any suggestions

2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

You would have to know why his lawn isn't green in the first place. A bluegrass alwn not green inMarch has some real issues that a fert application is not going to fix.

Plugs from aeration will break down 2 weeks or so -- can be sped up by mulch mowing and irrigating frequently.

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldn't iron give a fairly quick temporary green-up?

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

great point ....you can go the trugreen route and throw down some 46-0-0
    at a 3/4lb rate. Cheap too. Sounds like customer wants green grass for a barbie ........not a technical analysis.

5. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Lonnies,

What kind of troubles would a bluegrass lawn have that hasn't greened up in March?

6. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

In Mass, there are no green bluegrass lawns in March, heck most lawns are still covered in snow thru march, right BOB

Maybe the show me state is different and march is like May in Masss

7. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Well Good morning NS!

How are things in sunny CA today?
    Still snow covered here in America's Hometown.
    Think I'll go leprechaun huntin' today.
    The little fella turned all our milk and OJ green today.
    The kids thought that was great!

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

IF the turf is not in some state of dormancy from cold weather.......liquid Iron will green it up very quickly. Chelated forms of Iron are slower to respond, so you might want to avoid that type of product in this case.

9. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Chlorophyl is the green in lawns right? Chlorophyl is composed of 1 iron atom and 4 nitrogen atoms (I think). Iron alone will not help if the lawn does not have enough nitrogen to produce chlorophyl.