fert truck questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sirsweatsalot, Jan 30, 2003.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

well i have been in the market for a different truck now for a while, i've had some things that im not real sure about though.
    1. chasie question would a chevy/gmc 2500 be ok for 400 gal tank of fert or is it too much? would a 3500 be more my style?
    2. should i look for a dual rear end? or can i get by with single.
    3. are flat beds that much better?

this truck would also be used in the winter for pushing, i think a 2500 or 3500 would not really matter in the winter.

2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

The 2500 won't handle the 400 gal tank.
    Figure water weighs 8lbs per gallon, thats 3200lbs right there. Now add the weight of the bed,the weight of the fuel and the weight of anything else in the bed and you're already over weight. The movement of the liquid in a half empty tank takes a terrible toll on suspension parts. If you want to carry that much, you're better off with a one ton dually.
    Just mho

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Liquid fert will run over 10lbs per gal. so if your mix is containing some of that the numbers are even bigger. All the rest is true.

4. sirsweatsalot

from MN

so everyone is in agreement that dualy's is nessasary?

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

6. These can be bought complete and ready to work for about $6k

w4.jpg

7. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

LGF,
    Did you mean $16k or $6k?

8. sirsweatsalot

from MN

no lgf is right i have seen thoughs trucks for as little as 4,000 but 6 would be about right. i know of four used ones right now priced between 5,000-9,000. you want one?

9. $6000 that is six thousand dollars.

10. sirsweatsalot

from MN

SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! but not only would you get a lawn truck out of the deal i bet they would though in a free hat!