fert w/your 1st app of pre emerge?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 9, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

going liquid pre-emerge to save some $ plus a better uniform app. Thinking of applying .5lb of N per 1000 sq. ft. granular with this sound ight to everyone else. Was going to to do a tank mix with some liquid fert. but I'm pretty sure the liquid fert is to pricy.

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I did some comparing in my head and you are correct. It is a little pricier to add fert to the tank compared to spreading it dry. However, it depends on what product you use and something else you really need to think about is the "pain in a$$" factor. It is a real pain to spread and spray every lawn. I have to do it at a certain point, mainly with new sales late in the spring but I don't even want to imagine doing my whole customer base that way...GEEZ!

3. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yes, I can see your point. I'm only sitting at about 20 accounts right now so i'm trying to cut costs where I can. I will definetly take your advice as I grow.

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Makes sense...you shouldn't have any problem!

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We've talked about this over here, and did some comparison as well. My philosophy was this....We go in and spread pre-emergent over the entire lawn, and many times, we are putting down 30% to twice as much pesticide as what is really needed. When you think about it....ALL areas under trees do not need to be done. All areas on the north sides of buildings don't need to be done, either. Go into a lawn that is mostly shaded, and it is really kind of dumb that we are spreading all this pre-emergent around that is not even needed.
    Now, gee...how much could we save on our round one - or even the first half or 3/4 of our Rd.1 before we have to start mixing a 3 way? The simplicity of the blanket coverage of the granular application outweighs it though, because most everyone doesn't have their irrigation on that early, and there is no guarantee of being watered in properly (timing). Otherwise, this would be the way to go.