Fert. & Weed Ctrl. Application

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charlie, Feb 25, 2000.

1. Charlie

Charlie LawnSite Member

Who has a applicators liscense in Tennessee?<br>All of my properties are now requiring the same company to handle all of the maintenance on the grounds. No sub-contracting out services. Does anyone know the requirements for TN liscensing?<br>

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Charlie, you can start at http://www.state.tn.us/agriculture/regulate/regulat6.html<p>To search for any state offices or programs in any state in the USA, go to www.state.XX.us, where XX= your state's two letter abbreviation. This will be the home page for your state government, and there you can search for almost anything to do with state govt. There are often broken links, but if you watch the urls you will be able to zero in on the info you want<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

3. Charlie

Charlie LawnSite Member

Thanks Jim I will check out that site.<p>Charlie<br>

4. Charlie

Charlie LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if there is any other way to get around the qualifications for licensing? I know everyone of these guys out there can't possibly meet these requirements. For TN they are:<p>1. 2 yrs. verifiable experience working under a license in that category, or<br>2. have a four-year degree with major studies in a related field, or<br>3. hold a similar license in another state.<p>Any help would be appreciated.<p>----------<br>Charlie<br>Turf Creations, Inc.

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Charlie, this is standard in most states. The idea is that you have to have some knowledge of pesticides in your field before you are allowed to use the pesticides. Two possible solutions:<p>1- I helped a friend get his license by putting him on my payroll. He had his own maintenance business, and could not work full time for anyone to get the required experience. He worked for me when we made applications to his properties, and I got paid for those services. Took him a couple of years to get thru all testing & licensing in our state. <p>2- Read recently of someone who hired a licensed applicator to work for him (as a part-time consultant). This way your business can get the business license, since you have a licensed employee. Then you could enter the licensing pipestream under your business license.<p>Since all states are not exactly the same, it would be best to contact someone in your state licensing authority in person, to see what their suggestions might be. I prefer personal contact, instead of email, snailmail or phone, unless I already know the person. I have heard of some licensing authorities running special educational programs for guys in exactly your position, and others making short term exceptions to the same rules you mention. These types of actions will not be published!! They were regulators special answers for certain individual situations.<p>Whatever you do, be aboveboard with them. They are there to help you, not steamroller you. But if they think you're gonna be be a smartass, they can nail you good. Good luck<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<p>

6. NeilG

NeilG LawnSite Member

Charlie, I agree with Jim. Talk to the folks at the Department of Agriculture. I had a simular situation. Talked to the man in charge and he allowed me to test at his office. Bottom line, I let him know that I was trying to do the RIGHT thing the RIGHT way, and he worked with me every way possible.<br>Hey, what the heck, come south a hundred miles or so, I'll let you assist me, and help you get your Alabama permit, then you will qualify for the Tenn. permit.