Fert ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, Mar 9, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

In my neck of the woods the daily temps have been 60-65 degrees. Things are starting to turn green and plants are starting to bloom. I need to know when is the proper time put out fert? I'm afaid that if I put it out to early it will stimulate the weeds. I have read somewhere that you should wait for the initail green up to take place before applying fert. Is it to early to put fert out?

2. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

George, I am in N. Alabama. We put out weed and feed last month with no probs. Now is actually a great to put out ferts. with a pre-emergent.

3. George777

from Alabama

Ssouth, I'm not lisenced to put out Pre-M and so I can only put out straight fert. I will refer any type of weed control to a local company. I have a customer (my First) who is wanting me to put out fert. His grass is just starting to green up in some areas.

4. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

George where are you at? What type of grass? How does the lawn look?

5. George777

from Alabama

The turf is Zoysia in the back and Bermudain the front it is about 2" and for the most part still looks dormant. some places are starting to green up. I live near Phenix city, Al.

6. Mitchell

Mitchell LawnSite Member

Here in Texas I put out fert last mo. I Buy the Wal mart weed and feed at 6.89 a bag and charge $30 to apply takes about 10 min. That $23 for 10 min. of work plus it makes the yard look great.

7. George777

from Alabama

Mitchell, that sounds like a pretty good profit, however I can not legely apply weed and feed until I get my applicators lisence.
    I've talked with a few guys local and they told me the best thing to do is sub out the weed work because everytime a weed sprouts up the customer expects you to drop what ya doing and rush over to spot treat it.
    I think since this is my first year I will stick with just cutting and putting out fert.
    I do however see the potenial of income to fighting weeds. Right now wild onions are every where.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Although this past week we have had some pretty heavy snowfall up north here, Tru-Green Chem-Lawn started applying their program early last week before the snows fell even though it was forecasted.

The application will not take hold until the ground actually warms up to around 62 degrees. This warmth will be the activator for the chemicals to begin breaking down.

Here is our program:
    Spring March-May: Pre-Emergent Crabgrass - Broadleaf Weed Control w/ Slow Release Fert.
    Summer May-July: Surface Insect Control - Spot Broadleaf W.C. w/ Slow Release Fert.
    Late Summer July-Sept.: Spot Insect and Weed Control w/ Slow Release Fert.
    Fall Sept.-Oct.: Spot Insect and Weed Control w/ Slow Release Fert.
    Late Fall November: Slow Released Balanced Fertilizer

I would guess that you are about one month in ahead of us so just start a month in advance and you should be alright.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

[Edited by kutnkru on 03-10-2001 at 04:15 AM]

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well George I got some turf builder bags .Sure do
    look like sams choice weed, feed.Have a good day.

10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

need to find out your local lesco dealer guys .They can get you much better ferts an cheaper than Wally World .!!!