Fert

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gglawns, Dec 7, 2004.

1. gglawns

gglawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I want to start having a fert program for my customers to have me do as well but I have no idea where to start. I know that you need a license to lay the fert and so I called the county office and they were no help at all. What do I need to do, take some classes? Read some books? How did you guys obtain your license and knowledge about fert?

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Your county office wouldn't help? They should be able to give you the necessary guidance. At least here you go thru the county. Usually separate licenses for turf pesticides and ornamentals. In some areas you may not need a license if you're ONLY putting down strait fert, without any weed spraying of any kind. Again, your county should steer you in the right direction.

3. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

find your local Lesco store, they have all the info.

4. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Hey gglawns, I'm in Omaha as well, and I just took the test in October (passed it on the first try). For me it was easiest to just study on my own, but they do offer some 1-day classes/lectures you can attend, and a lot of guys I know have gone that route with good success. You can drive over to the county extension office and buy the books for like $30, and they'll be able to give you a list of the testing times for 2005. Let me know if you have any questions.