Fertigation for home use

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by advancedlawnsolutions, Feb 11, 2005.

1. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

Hey guys, What do you think about fertigation for home use? good or bad.
    I'm thinking particularly about the fertigator brand. I'm new to the study of ornamental plant & turf care also, and I promise I will try not to ask any ridiculous questions to get in quick. I appreciate a nice landscape & all the maintenance involved, I understand there is a lot to know about "properly" maintaining a site to look its best. With a lot of study and hands on experience I'm confident I can one day call myself a professional in this field. I appreciate this forum and all you Pros out there that are willing to share information. Currently I'm studying "Princilples of Turfgrass Management" from UGA.

Anyway what about fertigation?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Far too much trouble and expense for a Homeowner. Leave it for professional growers who have enough planting area to make the trouble of maintenance worth the effort.
  3. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

How many times do you see a sprinkler system shooting on the sidewalk or driveway? Let alone shooting into the road!

That's the potential for a lot of stuff to go into the sewer systems!

My opinion.

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I would not recommend Fertigation. I have two customers that stopped using it and went with a regular program.
    Their complaint was running out and reordering fertilizer, cost, and NO WEED CONTROL.
  5. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Just wait until "Joe Homeowner" runs down to the Home Depot and puts some Weed B Gone in there to take care of the dandelions.

It will happen !!!!

6. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

dont do it!! you have to have a perfect irrigation "pattern" for it to look uinform. Any overlapping of heads or areas that are missed all together stick out like a soar thumb. Had a cusotmer with one and he had a head not spinning and had a burn mark 15 yards long in his front yard. IT WAS UGLY!!
  7. I will also say, don't do it, for the already state reasons!