1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertigation system?????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by meets1, Apr 25, 2004.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I sub all our irrigation out. I found a servicable contractor that works for us. This is all he does with a 6 man crew. My question to you guys is, what do you see as far as Fertigation Systems out there. Do you install them? Is it worth getting into?

I run a lawn care company - landscape install/design/renovate the old, mow, spray/fert/ etc. I think the the micro feeding is excellent way of going but I never see much about this method. Any ideas, suggestions would be nice?!!
  2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I install/maintain them. VERY VERY VERY profitable.

They key is to sell the initial install for a low cost. They will call back wanting refills for fertilizer every 2.5/3 months. That right there would be your biggest profit.

Who's your contractor Jeff?
  3. meets1

Not you - your to young yet to handle our install jobs. What do you know about the systems? Have you used them or install them? What model or method do you use?
  4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I install sprinkler systems too bud. I use the Fertigator M-1. I've had my own in for a little over 2 years and have had great results. You can use almost anything in it. Right now I have some Lesco liquid greens fertilizer in there. Lawn looks awesome not to mention really thick.

You need to come to RV. I do install sprinkler systems too and I'd love to show you the places where I have.
  5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Yes I do install them too. You might have seen this place in town. Hell, you might even know him.

fertigator 004.jpg
  6. meets1

Do any of you guys install these systems or do you just do irrigation??
  7. I have installed one of them so I am by no means an expert.

However, I found it to be more trouble than it was worth....found the client not eager to pay me to "fill" it....which consisted of taking the suction tube out of the empty bottle and putting in the full bottle.

My part of the country may be different than yours however.....I'm sure it could work. I decided to concentrate on my core business....repairs.

Good luck,
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't have even coverage throughout the system, matched precipitation, the fertilizer gets distributed unevenly. So areas may still be greener than others. You might not want to install one on a system unless you installed the system yourself and it is designed properly.
  9. meets1

The contractor working for us use's his labtap and pretty much can lay out the entire yard right on sight with the customer or with me as we go through the bidding process. So as far as design layout for heads, lines ect I think were in good shape.

I have seen a golf course that uses one and they monitor that very closely were as a residential person probably will not.

Just trying to be inovative and offer yet another service. What system (s) have you guys used?
  10. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Fertigator. I took some pictures for you today Jeff.

042804 003.jpg