Fertigation

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hamsey, Oct 3, 2003.

1. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

I installed a fertigator this past summer and am not impressed with the results that I was getting so I went back to granular fert. Looking at replacing the fertigator with either the Ez-Flo or Techturf. Does anybody have experience with these? Pros / Cons! Is fertigation a waste of time? I like the concept and am trying to implement it. Thanks

Norm

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Ahhh, fertigation. I experimented with it briefly in the 80's. The concept is intriging, but the reality is somewhat different. The biggest problem is you have to have all of your sprinklers with matched precipitation nozzles, otherwise, you'll end up putting too much fertilizer in some spots and not enough in others. Also, if you have a stuck head, you'll end up with some interesting patterns. I gave up on it and went back to granular. Much less headache.

3. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

When the system was installed they did not match precipitation the heads:mad: I rebuilt the entire system this year:p Had to split up a zone so I could match precipitation. Still on the fence about the fertigation.

Norm

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

With a properly installed system, fertigation works very well. The fertigator system with it's pulsing is a lower cost, yet effective way to aide turfgrass development.
    However, systems like this require a properly installed irrigation system that is regularly maintained. Fertigation is definately not install and forget.

5. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

I constantly check my system to make sure it is running properly and maintain it (too much according to my wife). I don't think the ferigator is putting out enough fert. I checked the screen for blockage but it was clean. It's been winterized since Oct. 6th so I have to wait until next year to continue testing. Still think I will check into the other systems over the winter.
    Norm