1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fertilization Business

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hopper1124, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hello
    I am hoping someone can tell me how profitable the fertizing business is compared to mowing. I am considering going into the fertilizing business rather than mowing. I am educated and use to have a mowing and landscape business about 10 years ago.
    Thank you

2. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming you're going to offer more than just fert? If so, you'll need to get certified/licensed for your state first. After that, you'll need some spray equipment and some spreaders. Compared to mowing, I think it's more profitable. Compare the costs and needs of equipment compared to each other. Also, there aren't as many startups driving the price down. Lawn CARE is a year round business, lawn MOWING is seasonal unless you do it all, ie;leaves, snow etc... You can be successful just doing apps.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Fertilization is MUCH more profitable than lawn mowing. One person should be able to bring in just as much revenue in a day of doing applications, as a 3 man mowing crew. If not more.