1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilization Program Questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BeautifulBlooms, Feb 14, 2008.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

When you guys send out a fert program contract to your customers do you specify the products you will use and the rates at which they will be applied?

I have in the past listed each application, expected date of application, product used with specific nutrient breakdown, rate of Nitrogen application, and also herbicide content and rate.

Do I need to continue to do this in the contract or is it possible ot do a contract without specifying all of these things? I plan on doing a soil test as mandatory with a fert program now, and using those test results as a way of formulating the specific program.

Someone help me out here!
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

No--we don't give full formulation. Fertilizer with crabgrass control is as specific as we get. We do emphasize good features and benefits--if it is to our advantage or the customers advantage. But your state law may require more.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

By law we have to give the customer a contract with the name, epa #of what were going to use & aprox dates & alt dates of apps. Also if they want the lable we have to provide it to them.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thee is no way of telling ahead of time, as they may need something completely different. As far as the the labeling and all, our laws are the same...actually the MSDS has to be available upon request. the chem. names, a.i.'s, and quantities are all listed on the SOS.
  5. kirk anderson

kirk anderson LawnSite Member

that does not mean a newly built house might need a soil load up because the builder didnt bother removing the top s oil and putting it back on top..
    However we in our contract tell them they get our four apps, and then on the application ticket we tell them what we put down...but in a general idea..
    we tell the fertilzer, preemer, type of post emergent and what not..not the rate or pnds we put down....
    99% of your lawns need the the same thing....
    you will have some touchup for ......... fungus, bugs...but we put preventative down for the bugs and grubs and insects to that really isnt a proble..
    big yards..like over 10,000 we offer an option of insect control or no insect control cause its so expensive but smaller yards get it.. it s not worth risking the call back for a small yard
  6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

That only applies to pesticide apps, not ferts and lime. If an app has a crab grass pre-M, then yes, we need the contract. I don't tell my customers what npk formulation I'm using. If they ask, I'll tell them, but none ever do ask. I'm sure you know that... but just clarifying.