1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fertilization Question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mc11b80, Feb 8, 2014.

1. mc11b80

mc11b80 LawnSite Member

Ive been trying to educate my self on proper fertilization ratios. My question is this. If I wanted to apply .5lbs N per 1000, is there a difference in applying a fertilizer with higher number like 28 at a lower rate versus a lower number such as 10 at a higher rate?

2. ShaneW

ShaneW LawnSite Member

This isn't a fertilizer question. It's a math question.

28-0-0 is 28% N by weight. 10-0-0 is 10% N by weight. So, if the 28-0-0 was in a 100-lb bag, 28% would be 28 pounds, right? Most likely it's a 50-lb bag if you're buying a professional product, so instead of 28 pounds, you have 14 pounds of N. One pound of N per 1000 sq ft would mean you'd be covering 14,000 sq ft. Half that rate would obviously go twice as far.

There is no difference between 15-0-5 and 30-0-10 as far as coverage per thousand, IF you're spreading each product at an equal rate of pounds of N per thousand. 30-0-10 will not provide any greater boost to your lawn, but it will help you use fewer bags on a large property.

Make sense?

3. mc11b80

mc11b80 LawnSite Member

That cleared it up for me perfectly. Thanks.

4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Some fertilizers are slow release and some (usually cheaper) are not. Typically a slow release will list how much N is available immediately. If both types have the same N number the slow release will not green as much as the water soluble version.