Fertilization Schedule

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sgh22, Feb 22, 2007.

1. sgh22

sgh22 LawnSite Member

First of all, I dont own a business but do own a house and have found great info on this site. I thought of no better place than to ask this question here. I live in So. Il. and planted new lawn in late October. I put down Pennigton KY 31. Roughly 50% came up before winter hit hard. My question(s) are this:
    1. What do I do as far as schedule for fertilizer, aereate, etc.? Timeline for this this as well as reseed spots?
    2. As far as mowing, how low to start and such?
    3. There was a lot of water runoff that left ruts in the yard this winter. The yard slopes from back to front a little. Couldnt straw the whole yard,(~ 3 acres) What is a n easy way to fix trenches in yard? Some are 8 inches or so deep? I could get shovel and cut edges down and rake then reseed. Is that about right?
    I appreciate any help. I have a new house and lot of money in it and want it to look nice. I have learned a lot on this site just reading and just thought Id pick some brains. Thanks ahead of time.
    Scott

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Scott: I'd overseed as soon as possible. Fescue will lay there, unless birds pick it up, for months before germination. Most seed need warmth to get going. You could overseed now and let any snow melt take it into the ground. You could overseed it with rye which will come up readily and then die out when heat picks up. This would help the fescue by keeping the birds from eating the seed and when the rye break the ground it will help implant the fescue. On the ruts, lots of opinions, but I would fill them-- if not too many use bagged topsoil and reseed them. If there's a lot--then let the guys bring in some soil, dump it and fill it as you have time. If you mow the rye, do not pick up the clippings--let them thatch which will help hold the soil from rain run-off. Thats a hard one, Back in TN, we used to get tobacco stalks which were full of nitrogen and put them on the hills to hold the soil.--worked but now-a-days--no one does tobacco that way. When you can get some sod, I'd sod those gullies and blend it into the already growing fescue. This would stop the water runoff.
    This sounds sorta complicated, but getting a new yard established it rough in the winter. I'd rather take my chances in late spiing when I can control the irrigation.
    You can get a fertlizer schedule from the Lesco website that will list your area and your tall Kentucky 31 fescue.

Not much help, but maybe get you to thinking.