1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilization & weed killing applications?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CK82, Feb 10, 2006.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Just curious how you guys do your fertilization and weed killing, do you use 4 or 5 applications in the central region of the US, granular or liquid applications? Do I need to be certified to apply liquid (pesticide) or weed killer and how do you guys go about this? I would like to do more than just fertilize. I know there is Weed N' Feed, but does it actually work well or does a liquid app. need to be applied? Please give me some ideas and advice. Thanks, Chris
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

go to there site, and you will find the regulations for getting the reguired pesticide and fertilizing licence you must be licensed almost everywhere
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

4. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Ok I need a little more info on this subject!! Any info will help.
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The study guides fo rthe test will tell you most of what you need to know. Can always try your cooperative extension service too.
  6. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

For the best results on a weed n feed is doing the application when the grass is wet, usually early morning dew, but then you dont want it to rain for 48 hrs. So for most Professional lawn guys, Weed n Feeds just not going to cut it. Use a granular fertilizers with slow release, unless the lawn is in some bad shape then 20% slow release or so will do. Basically just to get the nutrients in the soil quicker. Once the lawns start looking good then you want to use more slow release granular applications. For weeds, use a liquid application, do you research on these products, some work faster than others, of course the faster they work the more they cost. Also adding a sticker for the liquid weed application will help you in case it rains. Most the time you only want to spray when there is no chance for rain and be sure it is not windy you dont wanna be killing flowers or shrubs in nearby beds. As for as getting a spray license I think it is different for every state. You probably will need a spray licenses, which usually u take a test and then just keep up with your credits each year and fees.

Hopefully that will help you out, also look for a Lesco nearby, they can also help you with any other questions about Fertilizers and weed controls
  7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Monday I have about 20 pcs of centipede to repair a grass-less area on a lawn. The lady also wanted to fertlize the rest but I told her it wasn't really a good time, but I'd ask the nursery while picking up the grass (she knows the owner).

He said fert around mid May - ONE time with 15-0-15. Also said you can fert more if you want, the fert companies love it and will recommend it of course, but it's not going to do much. This was from the nursery owner.

Apps 3-4-6 times a year is likely about just business. You can sell it and the fert company will sure back you, but it likely won't be doing anything but greening some pockets.

This was for centipede down in the south, not sure what grass you have.
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

He will dealing with cool-season turf--rye,bluegrass, fescue etc.

You should not apply one grain of fert, or one drop of herbicide,until you get licensed and certified.
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get your license. If you burn someones yard with the fertilizer then you will be paying to fix it. Don't mess with pesticides if you don't know what your doing. Pesticides can blind you, burn your skin and cause all kinds of side effects if you breath to much in while mixing it. Hint wear a chemical mask, gloves and chemical apron while mixing to be safe.

You could injury your customers from the chemicals if you apply to much.
    Actually their are sue happy people waiting to find a good lawsuit claim and you working without a license is a good one if they claim they or their child got sick from the chemicals.

Now a lawsuit without a license doesn't look good in court.

Is that enough to scare you to get a license BEFORE you apply anything to a customers yard? :)
  10. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Your definetely right about the lawsuit issue, and I will get a license before I make any moves. I have done granular fertilization in the past, I didnt think I needed a license to do that?