Fertilize after aerating?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Keith P, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Keith P

Keith P LawnSite Member

Should I fertilize after aerating or let the grass fill in naturally. If I should fertilize, what blend of fertilizer do you recommend? High nitrogen, start up, 10 10 10?

2. greenerdreams

greenerdreams LawnSite Member

fert. if it is time for the lawn to be done if it's on a regular schedule. Dont' just fert. because you aerate. I use season specific products. At this time of the year use a product that has iron to help green the lawn.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

its a great time to fertilize after aeration, I try and do most of mine in the fall but any time the ground isn't frozen or too dry its ok to aerate. I would recommend using a fertilizer with a pre-m for crabgrass. I use a 13-3-7 for spring applications and like to put down the bulk of the nitrogen in the fall applications.

4. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Hey Keith - Just curious, are you sewing seed at the time of aeration? If so - you don't want to use any fert product that also contains pre-em. Most of what you see/buy right now is a combo product marketed to joe-home owner.