fertilize trees now?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by likethegreenstuff, Oct 5, 2004.

1. likethegreenstuff

likethegreenstuff LawnSite Member

Does it benefit trees to fertilize them as much as it does grass in the fall, or better to fertilize them in the early part of the year?

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

we do our fertilizing in the early fall. when you say trees...i'm talking ornamentals/shrubs. the thing to be careful of is stimulating new growth. I dont know what the weather is doing where you are, but here we are getting 60's in the daytime and dropping into the 40's in the evening. Fertilizing now might just stimulate a plant to push out some new tender growth....then along comes a freeze at night and causes some damage (mostly a problem with evergreens though)

On the other hand fertilizing plants in the spring pushes out all kinds of new growth...which can become a problem with insect activity. that young tender growth is good eatin. Also disease activity with typical wet/damp spring weather on that new growth.

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

maybe the region you are in determines when its best to fertilize

http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_sheets/plant_culture/fert_trees_shrubs.htm

good reading, but scroll all the way down for your specific question

this info differs from the info coffeecraver offered from the north dakota site given above

we start the last week in august and try to finish by last week in sept but we ussually dont get done till first week in oct. we actually have several properties left to do and its getting late in the season (had a pretty good frost last night)

it is interesting though, how two universities differ in recommendations. kinda reminds me of weather men....one says it will rain and another says it wont??