1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilized lawns are the 1st ones to burn up????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Well its official that Minneapolis/St.Paul metro area has a drought. 2 of my lawns I have not mowed since july 9th. The one that is fertilized seems to be about 90% dead grass. The other one thats never been fertilized is growing slowly but is not dead anywhere. When I started out mowing when I was a teenager,,, I remember the first lawns to burn up when it got dry in July was the ones that were fertilized.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That's got to be tough living in a place with all of those lakes and then having a drought. We've gone through somewhat drought conditions here over the last several years and I've thought about delving into irrigation.
    I think irrigated lawns bring on their own problems but, at least they're green, right?
  3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have found that my irrigated lawns dry out much faster in the summer heat if the homeowner starts to get behind turning the sprinklers on/setting them to run longer.
  4. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Is this something that is common with ALL irrigated lawns, or is the problem more deeply rooted? Maybe I mean "shallow rooted", from lightly watered lawns that never grow a deep enough root system to take advantage of existing water in the soil. I understand that the reason for irrigation is because of the lack of moisture in the soil, but if the lawn is lightly watered and the root system is shallow it would dry up faster.
  5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody think that fert lawns consume more water to grow at the rate they do and the ground can't come up with the demand? And regular lawns grow at the rate of the water in the ground?
  6. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, if a lawn is on an extended release fertilizer program, the lawn gets a chance to build up carbohydrates and feed off of those during stressful times such as drought and high heat.

Also, on an established lawn, it is always best to water deeply and infrequently.

Fertilizer these days is developed enough that when used responsibly, can keep your grass deep green in july and august and not have you mowing on a 3 to 6 day schedule in the spring. And that's here the transition zone of virginia with fescue grass. IMHO probably the worst area of the united states to keep a strong stand of any turf grass.
  7. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I wouldn't say it exactly that way. Regular lawns will stress, given an extended dry period. Fertilized lawns need a greater water supply and will stress quicker. All watering should be deep watering, not just to cause deeper rooting, but to control thatch buildup.
  8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Shallow watering is the single WORST thing anyone can do to their lawn. Better to not water at all, that's for sure.
  9. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Another one I always love is the guy who waters the snot out of his lawn in June and then gets his 200.00 water bill and says "No more water for the lawn" and shuts the sprinklers off.