fertilizer 32-3-7 ?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lorensanders, Apr 10, 2006.

1. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

is this a good product for spring applications on burmuda with ambient temps in the day between 75-90 in oklahoma...

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

i never use anything with that high nitrogen content. too much top growth

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

what % slow release does it have? if you can get 50% it would be fine. and you don't have to put it down at full rate. I find it more economical to use a a higher nitrogen and use it at a lighter rate for spring and summer applications.

4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with indyturf, you can always adjust the rate to get the desired N. We don't deal a lot with the warm season grasses up here, but I'd put it down on my customers' lawns at about .75 lb of N per k, which would be about 2.3 lb of product per k.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

That will work fine for your Spring greenup application on Bermuda. I think this product is only 30% SCU. Bermuda needs a lot of N early on to push it out of dormancy.

Subsequent apps should feature a higher percentage of SCU, at least 50%. You could even do 39-0-0 which is 100% SCU.

6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

. . . once again, Northern boys giving advice on Bermuda . . .

Here in TX common Bermuda can take plenty of N now and 4-5 lbs. total during the growing season. Hybrids needs 5-6 lbs during the season. I'm about 400 miles South of you so we pound Bermuda early and often. 1st round was done 1st week of March; doing Round 2 this week. Slow release ferts work best for surviving the summer heat, but if this is Round 1 and you've got plenty of moisture available, you could even go with 21-0-0 Ammonium Sulfate to green up, and the slow release blends afterwards. Not a bad idea to get more K in the mix down soon, too for the hot summer months. Get your K down well before the big heat hits!

But you're close to a transition zone, and may not need all the N we need here. Your best bet is to ask your county extension service, as they know the soils and turfgrass needs for YOUR area.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Adding to that...during Bermuda establishment or Spring transition you can apply 1 pound of Nitrogen on a weekly basis until you get full coverage.

That may sound crazy to some, but I have personal experience with this.