Fertilizer Analysis

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by ant, May 10, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i was interesred in getting my fertilizer tested . any of you ever have this done ?

if so what should i expect?

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If you are buyig commercially packaged fertilizers, you should expect to see that it is pretty much what it says it is on the bag. Fertilizer companies are regulated and checked. The analysis might not be exactly what is on the bag, the numbers represent a guaranteed minimum content, but might actually contain a little more. For instance, a 10/10/10 might actually be a 10.1/10.2/10.3

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I worked for a co-op in college where we bagged bulk fert and they test the analysis for accuracy as stated above. Also each bag has to weigh within a specific +/- % of its total labeled weight.

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Our State Dept of Agriculture makes occasional random tests at major fertilizer sales locations. They publish the results every couple of years. There is always some yahoo company that come up light on a bag or two. Indeed one has quite a reputation for coming up light but I doubt anyone on this board ever uses their material.