1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer and Aeration Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1st Rate Lawns, Sep 21, 2004.

1. 1st Rate Lawns

1st Rate Lawns LawnSite Member

Ok, I have sold about half of my customers on the Aeration and overseeding, but i also have these and the other half sold on Winterizer Fertilizer. My question is can i overseed and still spread winterizer, if so what should i do first and what time frames. I know its coming down to crunch time so any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok need a little more info on zone and climate. I am now doing aerations and using 13-13-13 for fert. I will use winterizer fert in late nov. as for winterizing lawns now while aerating and seeding I dont think you will have a problem since there is a minor amount of quick release N in winterizer that will allow some food for newly germinating seed. Also you could apply start fert or similar and 3 weeks later apply winterizer as long as you dont forsee a freeze up of ground.
  3. 25nbl

25nbl LawnSite Member

The winterizer, as far as I have known, will kill the new seed you put down. You can only do one or the other, but maybe it's different down here in Texas.
  4. 1st Rate Lawns

1st Rate Lawns LawnSite Member

See i was afraid of the Winterizer killing seed. But i think i will do the aeration and seeding and wait till later for the winterizer. Zone 6. Thank you for the input. Any definite word on Seed and winterizer?