Fertilizer and Dogs?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by EagleLandscape, Oct 24, 2007.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Hey guys,
    I'm getting into fertilizing since I just got my tpcl # this summer.
    I plan on kicking into gear first thing in the spring. I had a customer today ask me about fertilizer vs dogs.

I use Lesco granular products, can someone give me the rundown on how you suggest using it if dogs are in the backyard? does it matter, thanks?
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be sure to properly notify your customers of any reentry interval after using any products that contain pesticides on their lawn and you'll be fine. As long as the customer follows your instructions there shouldn't be any problems (unless the dog, or dogs have a hypersensitivity to one of the products you apply).
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What do you guys do when you show up to a customers home and their dog is outside and the owner isn't home?

What if it is an outside dog and never goes inside?

How do you all handle that situation?
  4. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

suggest organics for pet owners. and use alternative management tech. for pest control.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What organic products do you use that will take out the following:

Wild Violet
    Ground Ivy

JOHNS THICK BLADE LawnSite Member

I wouldn't recommend putting fert down with dogs out unless you have permission to do so. It will not effect the animal but people get nervous about stuff they know nothing about. Now if you were using a liquid i would never treat the lawn with dogs out.
  7. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm no veterinarian, but I've been told that the paws of dogs are extremely porous and will absorb chems much more so than our own bare feet would. If that's true, there may be a risk to applying fert and having a dog run all over it (especially when it comes to combination products like weed&feed, fert&insect control, etc). I would probably just include a disclaimer in the contract and let the pet owner assume responsibility for their own dog.
  8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

This is very true. That's why I tell all my customer's to water the product in over two days or wait until after first rain.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Nutrients that are designed to be used around people, pets, and wildlife..............this is a no-brainer for us.

Trees, shrubs, ground cover, grasses, weeds, pollen, fungal spores, etc, etc, pose more allergic threats to mammals than products designed for human use.

If one has any doubts, just check your local land grant university. (that way you don't blame me, and you get "scientific" results).
  10. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Do you not have to have a year of verifiable training to test anymore? Not like the State would do anything if you had no license at all....(sigh).

I would just think you'd know the answer to your question.