fertilizer and herbicide

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by fordnut, Mar 3, 2007.

1. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting. I have a couple of questions. I'am still a rookie at this so I hope ya'll can help. This one client wants her yard fertilized and treated for weeds. She mainly has fescue with some bermuda, what do you recommend for fertilizer and pre or post emergence herbicide. How would you apply it. I live in northeast NC and her yard is almost 3 acres.....Thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would recommend a reputable local guy that is licensed and let him apply what it is that he uses.

3. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

ouch ouch ouch

4. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

I'am sorry I forgot to mention that I'am Licensed. I just got them. That is why I said I was new at this.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

What are the conditions of the turf? Is it over riden w/ weeds? if so what kind, broadleaf or grassy? How will you be applying the products? If you can answer these questions advise will be able to be offered more effectively.
    Jay

6. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

Thanks for responding Jay. The turf is in good shape.This time of year the henbit is getting thick and later on the dandilions are everywhere.About application, for a 3 acre yard would you use grandular or spray....Thanks

7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

For pre emergent i would reccomend a combination Fertilizer granular product.Such as Dimension or Stonewall. If your soils are sandy i would go with Stonewall (prodiamine) For post emergent crabgrass you'll need a herbicide with msma, fenoxaprop or Quinclorac. For a broader spectrum of broad leafs, 2,4D. Hope this was of some help.
    -Jay

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

What a shame, what a shame for a new guy to take the time, courage, and thought to ask a question. Then the first comment that he get is to "I would recommend a reputable local guy that is licensed and let him apply what it is that he uses."
    Over 8500 posts does not make one a God. I can think of other gods that he might be.
    I would llike to welcome FORDNUT, offer him anything that I know about his particular question, and recommend that some of the "Gods" think before judging someone else. With over 8500 posts--sounds like someone has more time on the computer than they have working.
    And before I get all of those damning comments: Yes, I have a degree in agriculture, have been at it for over 40 years, am licienced, have all of the RUP certificates, licensed to teach, know the extention agents in 3 states, bonded, worked with the state forestry division and on and on and on. All of us can benifit from other, even to our own credit to help another human. We're not alone out there, everyone is not stupid or ignorant and certainly not a God. Roy from Tennessee where we respect one another.

9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Fordnut:
    Having said what I did, I had to cool down and get my wits about me before I returned your post. With three acres to treat, think about using an ATV sprayer for the weeds later. Go with the Pre-Emergent with Fertlizer now. After greenup and into the growing seasone, more than likly you're goinig to have to spray for weeds. If you can get an ATV sprayer or some way of EVENLY spraying, that would be the way to go. If it is like most NC ground--it might be hilly and can't use an ATV--then you truck and long hose may be the only choice. There are several liquid Pre-Emergents available, but might be getting a little late to use, but not quite. Your climate will decide for you. Here, the yards are greening up nicely, the Redwings are staking out their territory and spring flowers are popping everywhere.

10. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

Amen Brother on your post, here is a guy who had a question, who would like to get some advice before he makes a decision based on input from several knowledgeable sources, and the first post is a slam. No one, not I or anyone else here has all the answers, for if that were the case, this site would not be here. Lighten up Francis (From Stripes) give the guy a chance. Yes, there are people here who are not certified or licensed, and when I see that I pick up the phone and call the State of Georgia Dept. of Agriculture, let them worry about them, not a money thing, just believe that you should be doing the right thing, so I don’t have to compete with unlicensed pirates who’s only motivation is money and not the true art of turf improvement (Good turf sells itself year after year).

As for me, I have a PhD, from a large brick and mortar university here in the south (Go Dawgs) and can lecture indefinitely on American history and post-modern political science and do so in three languages, but when it comes to landscaping, especially chemical applications and treatments, I’m learning like everyone else. Anyone can operate a mower, and I do with over 200 residential and commercial contracts, but it takes knowledge and education to identify, formulate, treat, and apply. Bottom line, if your tool box is full, and you don’t loan, pack up and go to the house, this is forum was set up to facilitate ideas and discussion so we all benefit from the collective knowledge of the group. My 2 cents worth, I maybe wrong!