1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer and Lime

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by alpine692003, Jan 24, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I applied the Scotts Lawn Turf Builder Fertlizer (29-4-3)with a rotary hand held spreader because my yard is not big enoughf or a big spreader yet.

I have more then the average yellow/brown spots or so you call it.

I'm beginning to wonder, I should of applied lime 1st and then fertlizer, but I reversed the order using FERTLIZER 1st haven't yet applied lime.

It's been 2 days since I applied the fertlizer and I'm wondering is it okay to apply the lime now or should I wait a week, then apply lime and fertlizer again?
  2. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

Its to early to fertilize , your wasting your money.Wait until just before the green up.You can apply lime anytime, but Iwould do a soil test first to determine what elements you may need.It takes about 5 months to incorporate lime into your soil.Lime will not burn your lawn for the most part; fertilizer will burn your lawn so it should be watered in after applying.
    If i was you i would read some books from the library on Lawn needs.
    Hope this helps.
  3. alpine692003

Thanks bb36....

I just finished applying lime to my lawn with a hand held spreader.
  4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I read that you shouldnt apply lime and fert on the same day. Is that true? I will try to apply lime early and fert later like you said but I am imagining a sernerio where i am at a prop doing first fert app and they have, as per an earlier pH soil test, decided to get lime. I could concievable save a trip if i can do both apps at once. I use organic fert right now if that makes a diff to the answer. ty
  5. I believe, but could be wrong, that lime application and nitrogen applications using urea, and maybe other quick release N sources, you could loose some of the nitrogen applied

Maybe somebody can comfirm this!

how about it heritage
  6. alpine692003

Well guys, I applied fertilzer 1st waited a few days and then I applied rapid lime today.

I want a greener turf and stronger roots.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Canada has got to be way too cold this time of year for that stuff already!! I know Indiana is.
  8. Heartlandturf

Heartlandturf LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I would recommend never applying lime before you do a soil test. You may really be messing up your PH. Here where we live we usually need to apply sulfer in order to lower the PH. Lime would raise it. So we would have a mess on our hands. Even through I see people around here do it all the time.
    If you are in the northren zone it won't matter as by spring it will have leached out or at best be non-effective by spring anyway.
  9. alpine692003

I see...

I am the West Coast region.
  10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Your kidding right? Rapid lime for stronger roots..........Rapid Lime (hydrated lime) will burn roots. Why did you apply a fast release fertilizer while the ground is frozen? Any urea nitrogen will become a gas and the lawn will certainly NOT benefit from that and the ammonium nitrogen would bind to soil particles if it was not sitting on ICE or SNOW waiting to runoff. Take a couple of short courses on fertility management or at the very least read some good soil science books and get a book on turfgrass management and learn about cool season turf and proper application rates and TIMING.

Making misapplications of fertilizer like you just did is why our industry is often questioned by enviornmental groups.

If you come here for advice, great. But please do so BEFORE you shoot......Ask questions first then when it's o.k. you can shoot.
    This way no one gets hurt.

Go To Your Cooperative Extension Service in the city of your province and ask them what you should do.

Pete D.

As far as the question about liming and fert at the same time....yes it is o.k. to do so in the granular form. (at the right time of year of course) If you use soluable sources of calcium in a fertilizer solution you cannot add sulfates or phosphorous to the solution as it will cause a reaction and form insoluable percepitates that will clog things up.