1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer and weed control

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Googus, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Googus

Googus LawnSite Member

Looking for suggestions on treating a 8,000 sq ft lawn with fertilizer and weed control here in NC. What to charge?
    Suggestion on products?
    Granular or liquid?

Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Get your License and that will answer your ?
  3. Googus

Googus LawnSite Member

The next exam is a month away and I was looking to take the class/ exam but that is further away and I kinda need a hand now:)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Lot's of info availbale on fetilizer and pesticide forums on this site.
    Be aware that a general ? like you are asking may not be received well.
  5. Googus

Googus LawnSite Member

That's fair. I deserve it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of grass are you treating, warm or cool season? If it's fescue, that should have been fertilized prior to April 1st in this area. If you're doing any type of weed control for compensation, that requires a license.
  7. Googus

Googus LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

GALAWN LawnSite Member

The lic is a joke. My business partner passed his and still knows very little about treatments. 8k sq ft I would charge 60 bucks per app. I am assuming you are treating fescue. I'd use a fertilizer, doesn't matter which but if you wait any longer I'd switch to just iron and fungicide with fescue during summer. Any 3way product you can mix with it. Fescue isn't easily harmed by three way.
  9. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Getting licensed teaches you what to do, unfortunately they don't teach you how to do. They leave that up to you to figure out by taking classes, self educating, hopefuly work with someone who is experienced or dare I say, come here to learn:laugh:
  10. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

Well I do frequent this site for just that, learning. I worked for another company for years and years before I went started my own company and had to get licensed. Working the industry will be far more helpful than a test. My advice to anyone working with chemicals would be to work for someone else first to see the day to day aspects. The study material here in GA isn't all that helpful as I'm sure you know. It's mainly just very basic stuff that hasn't been updated since the 80's.