Fertilizer and weed control

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by vallz, Feb 12, 2014.

1. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

USDA site has all the information you need on this. Im in Va and we cant even use Round Up on for pay. I had to take an online class and get certified as an applicator and then get license to apply any kind of chemicals to the turf.
    Make sure you have proper insurance as well. EPA will have a field day if there is a possible poisoning or a contamination due to run off.

2. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure you could bring that number down to around 20-25k if everything was bought used...main thing is getting that VA pesticide license and I'm not sure if VA requires a fert license yet.

3. Chamber143

Chamber143 LawnSite Member

Wow license fees in nc are like 150 counting the test.

4. vallz

vallz LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

rescuedlawn did you get certified and licensed online through the USDA? Now knowing how important having a license is I'll need to hopefully get it fairly quick before spring fertilizing. And whats the difference between getting certified and licensed?

Really appreciate everyones input.

5. Chamber143

Chamber143 LawnSite Member

Certified is licensed. It is very important to have the basic understanding of what you are dealing with. Always be the smartest guy out there. It makes the customers feel comfortable with you.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

You can obtain study booklets through your county extension agency or through Kansas State University. First you need to take the tests to become a certified applicator. This will be two tests: General and Category 3b (turf). Once you pass the tests you can obtain your Pesticide Business License through the Kansas Department of Agriculture. You can find a schedule of tests on the Kansas Department of Agriculture website.

7. vallz

vallz LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I'm assuming your licensed, how long did it take you to get licensed? was the process difficult or pain staking to get through? Was all the certifying ad licensing all on-line?

8. KS_Grasscutter

Nothings online. Took like 3 to 6 weeks after the test to get confirmation of passing and such.

Where you from? If youd like you could give me a call tomorrow afternoon and I can try to explain the process.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. vallz

vallz LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I'm in the Kansas City area. If we could work that out I would really appreciate it. I actually don't have my phone right now...left it in the truck today when I dropped it off at the transmission shop, but ill have it back midweek. Could i hit you up some time this week?

10. KS_Grasscutter

Yep that's fine
    Posted via Mobile Device