Fertilizer Application... after seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Natural Impressions, May 10, 2006.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I spread out seed for a customer with starter fertilizer about 5 weeks ago. I did this after detatching his lawn and raking the debris up. With the little water he gave it and even with no rain since then it has slowly germinated some. He still does have a weed problem that I would like to fix. Can I fertilize a second time with a fertilzer with weed killer or should I hit the lawn one more time with a starter fertlizer. Like I said, it has grown but not as fast as I would have hoped.

more info: I areated last fall and spread a large amount of lime to fix the ph value. He pounded the lawn for years without ever putting lime down. He thought the more fertilizer the better...just so you know.

2. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

most good starter fertaizers are good for 3 months. so i think if you reapply feralizer you may over do it. from what you say i would think that you need to water and nothing else.

3. HydroMike

HydroMike LawnSite Member

If your going to apply a fertlizer with herbicide (2-4-D), you should cut it first and then come back when the grass is moist like in the morning when dew is still on it and then spread it. The weed killer needs to set on the grass for awile to be absorbed. Do this when the weather men are calling for no rain. This will give you the best results.
    My 2cents