1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer Applications

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by alpine692003, Jun 9, 2004.

1. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Nice to see some humor here, Ric you made me laugh.

Thats a neat way to do it LwnmwrMan22, The only problem is with weed control most of the time its not a blanket app, I assume you do the same and I also assume your charge is the same even though you dont spray the whole lawn.

So using those numbers When your doing rd 2-3-4 and your only applying fert would your treatment cost be $48?

Then if you do a program like mine

Rd1- fert, crab,weed $144.00
    Rd 2- Fert , weed $96.00
    Rd3 - Fert $48.00
    Rd4- Fert $48.00
    Rd 5 Fert & lime $96.00

Total $432
  2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol... you americans..
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

James -

Yeah, that would be the case.

I only do 4 apps.

Fert, Dimension May 1
    Fert, Momentum June 15
    Fert, Momentum August 15 - iffy.... sometimes just goes to a fert
    Fert October 15

I've been doing my 38 accounts that I mow now for 4+ years this way, so the second app of Momentum sometimes doesn't need to be done if it's real hot out in August. If I've got a bad problem I'll go ahead and do it, but like I said, it's mostly just spot spraying the edges of the props anyways.
  4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Im curious, Is it profitable to get equiped when you arent specializing. Most here find once they pay for the spray equipment they cant afford to do anything but fert and squirt. Do you have a truck mounted sprayer or with just doing your maintenance customers can you get away with a backpack when it comes to weed control?
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I mow mostly, just do chemical applications on the side, for my accounts that I mow for, plus some other buddies and the such. Next year I'm dropping 1/4 of my mowing, after working 80-90 hours / week this year, and working on picking up more apps.

Just picked up a township this year, 7 large parks, got them away from TG/CL. Next year I'm working on the school district that I mow. Figured if I get enough of the large accounts from ChemLawn, maybe I'll be getting a call from their corporate. :)

Buddy of mine got bought out by TG/CL about 6 years ago, he got a nice chunk of change for racking up the accounts he had... 400+.