Fertilizer bans

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by South Florida Lawns, Jan 23, 2011.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Ya know whats really funny is; and I just read this off the USF Polytechnic site is that Florida is presently providing somewheres around 75 percent of the nation’s supply of phosphate fertilizer and about 25 percent of the world supply.

Who remembers all the contaminated waters and pollution these processing plants produced a few years back?

2. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, we are the fourth largest producer of phosphorus in the world. We sit on top of the deposit. As I understand it, residential contribution is just a drop in the bucket compared to commercial industry for water use and waste, along with phosphorus pollution.

Then we have the sugar industry doing us the favor in the reclaiming the Everglades (a misnomer) in dumping partially decomposed (still Hot) compost from our landfills into the Everglades in order to create more planting acreage.

Yeah, they are reclaiming it all right. When did we initiate the phospate ban in laundry detergent? Does anyone remember?

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Ric, Not sure if it is just me and my internet connection, but the link you provided is not working.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic