fertilizer burn issues

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by matthewkil, Feb 6, 2007.

1. matthewkil

matthewkil LawnSite Member

just wondering if anyone has tips on fertilizers to use in the event that the customer doesn't have an irrigation system. from my years as a golf course super i learned that just about any fertilizer will burn under the right(or wrong) conditions. some of the over-the-counter scott's or lesco ferts. claim use in any conditions. i'm considering trying them and suggesting/hoping the customer run their own hose/sprinkler. some i know won't and i'll be left trying to explain a burned lawn. are these o-t-c products legit or what? i don't want to have to rely on prayers of rain.

2. matthewkil

forgot to mention that i live in alabama so the high temps are a factor as well.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

The typical Lesco/Scotts fertilizer that you would use in Summer conditions might be about 30% N made up of Urea and SCU which would vary based on the exact formulation. In hotter conditions, you want a higher percentage of slow release (SCU) and less Urea. You also want to avoid applying a high amount MOP, as the salt content of that is high such as 22-0-22.

LCOs in the South use these types of products constantly on non irrigated properties without burning, as long as they are not applied to wet turf.

I have quite a few properties that are not irrigated, and burning has never been a problem even with a high percentage of Urea in the formulation.

If you are really facing hot and dry conditions like the drought we had last year, applying a 38-0-0 (100% Nitroform) is excellent for that scenario. We did some of that last year due water restrictions.

4. matthewkil

forgot all about nitroform. perfect solution. do you have any suggestions on a good impregnated pre-em for spring and fall without the expense of a ronstar for example.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Your best bet for preemergent on warm season is an 0-0-X with Prodiamine (Barricade).

Regal has an 0-0-20 0.50% Regalkade which is good, and Lesco has an 0-0-8 0.43% Stonewall. These are just example generic Prodiamine formulations. Your local vendors might have something like that as well, such as Harrells in AL. If you can, spraying this round of Prodiamine will be cheaper product wise.

If you do your Fall preemergent in Aug/September, you will probably still need something like a 21-0-21 with Prodiamine 0.25%

Forget Ronstar, it is not labeled for residential and is too costly for someone to be competitive.

6. matthewkil

i'm still a small operation so i don't have a large spray rig yet so i'm sort of limited to pushing a spreader and spot treating by hand. thanks for the great info. WAR EAGLE!!!!

7. mountianview

mountianview LawnSite Member

what do I know osmocote type fertilizer ? aqua grow granular wetting agent ?aquacontrols of america ? griffen green house supply ? time release fertilizer would end burn .wetting agent / better water retention overall soil health ?

8. Mattcurry

Mattcurry LawnSite Member

Im in Fl and i used 16-4-8 on most my yards in the summer, if they dont have irrigation, i usually lower my rates quite a bit and the customer shouldnt expect a miracle without irrigation either.