1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

fertilizer causing grass to "jump"

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Is the N amount per month? Like GreenDoc and others said you may cut down on the N. I deal with these same 2 grasses as well as zoysia & St Aug. Pretty hard to let healthy bermuda go 2 weeks between mowings without cutting excessive amount off & scalping. On the centipede I usually go 2 weeks between mowing unless we are receiving alot of rain which we haven't for several years. Do these people have irrigation? Probably the biggest obstacle I face is getting people to water correctly. When practical I simply take it over.

I have tried Mesa fert and am having good results so far.

2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

The N rates are spaced out and applied every 6 weeks.

May look into mesa. I used some Lebanon 25-0-5 last year and it was nice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Really doesn't sound like too much N. Explain to your bermuda customers it is a fast growing variety. If you think they will be a problem perhaps mail them an info sheet that states such, for instance a pamplet from your extension service.

4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Even with no fert two weeks mows are a ball buster at any price. The type of cheapskate who wants a two week mow is not likely to be willing to pay a penny extra. The two week mow types are not a good target market and will drive you insane.

Tell the cheap SOB's their going to have to pay for a growth regulator application if they want to go two weeks.

5. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

How long is your growing season? How many apps/year?