Fertilizer Freaks!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Apr 24, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you love it when Mr. Joe Blow Homeowner tries to pinch a few pennies and decides to put down the fertilizer himself. This should be banned if Joe Blow has a LCO mowing his yard. They think more is better and lace the yard with a triple dose of 10-10-10. This happens to me about once a year and I end up having to mow the yard every 3 or 4 days. Joe Blow ends up spending twice as much to have his yard mowed. Anyone else have to deal with this???

LAWNS AND MOWER

2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Hit one today just like that. Here's the clincher: He's a biweekly account in love with sulfate. :rolleyes:

At any rate, I had a good talk with him today and we agreed less fertilizer, higher cuts. He's a good guy, he just didn't understand... :)

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Fertilizer is automatically included for all of our lawn care clients. So they have no need to fertilize themselves. I figured out a long time ago that if I added a few things on to our packages (e.g. fertilizer, weed control in the lawn, etc.) that we could charge a good $25+ more per month, even though the cost of these extras is just a few dollars to me. So, now that's all we do.

None of our clients fertilize on their own. I guess it's another nice benefit of working in Yuppie neighborhoods. Most of them don't want anything to do with caring for the lawn. The last thing they want to do is go out and fertilize after their busy 60 hour week.

4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We don't compete with homeowners, our problem has been new customers who have "contracts" with an application company like TGCL or Scotts.

Because I respect contracts - I tell them for the first year they don't have to cancel, though I would prefer that they do, and we'll perform all other services. However, I expect the following year that they will have our service.

If someone does not have our application service - and we have to double cut their lawn - they get charged twice for the double cut due to excessive growth. We just have to edcuate the customer that no much N isn't necessary to keep the lawn going - it will be green, health and lush without so much growth.

Problem is that application companies want to give value to the homeowner, so they make it grow like crazay. Joe Homeowner now knows that TGCL was out doing their job. Just creates more work.

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that we mow as well as do fertilization/weed control( 6 apps. per season). Last week I noticed a spreader and several bags of Scotts 28-?-? plus halts.
    I wondered why he had this... Today I saw spreader tracks across the lawn and an empty bag in the landscape.
    I can't wait to see this next week, now that the sprinklers are on!!

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I'm the same as Jim Lewis. I do not mow any lawns that I do not fertilize also.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We've had homeowners use drop spreders with high-nitrogen fertilizer.

More streaking that a drunken night at the local college.

Ken

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

One guy complained to me in the beginning of the season he hopes he can afford to have his lawn mowed this yr because of the stock market hit he took. Well he hasn't slowed down of the fert. apps. like I suggested so pay me weekly or cut it yourself.

9. If one bag of scotts weed & feed will make my lawn look good then 3 bags should make it look 3 times as good, then I'll just water it in with some miracle grow.

You tell them let me take care of it but they see them ads on tv.

10. corban

corban LawnSite Member
    from K.C. Mo

Do many of you guys use Scott's? I find that it works fine, but I get a little embarassed when I have to tell people I get it at Wal-Mart. It just doesn't seem very professional.