fertilizer going up october 6th.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lawn king, Oct 2, 2005.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We just received an e mail from lesco. Fert. & control products increasing as much as 10 % on october 6th. They expect another increase before spring, the rising costs of raw materials and fuel are too much for the company to abzorb. Buy before thursday! Scott.

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the warning lawn king, I was wondering when that would happen. We are already planning our largest price increase ever next year to compensate for gas and material cost increases, but I'll be stocking up to beat that increase in the next several days.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I'm hearing that everyone should expect another 20% January 1st on top of the 10% that we are getting on Oct 6th

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well lucky me! Iv'e got my last 2 apps already bought, actually this one is almost down now... I bought all mine 10% OFF during the specials they had a month ago.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

the 10% is only for the national accounts. It will not affect us. The 20% in January will. We just did some number crunching today, and it looks like we're looking into renting some building space to store our fert. After doing about 120 ton this season, we are doing the buy ahead program. we should see some substantial savings from this, and it will be more than enough to cover the building expense. we will be stacking pallets 2 high.

6. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

You need to check out Lesco's Early Order Program. It's pretty nice!! Better than any other they have had in the past.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Runner -

Do you see some fert "balling up" on you when you buy ahead?? Or have you not had enough sitting around long enough before?

I tried that last year, bought 2 pallets of 30-0-10 last fall when it was dirt cheap, figuring I'd get a head start on this year's purchases.

Yes, I know, ONLY 2 pallets, it's all I go through.

Anyways, 1/2 - 3/4 of the bags we like they had experienced too much humidity, where the fert was a little sticky, and wanted to ball up in the Ultra.

It was quite a pain to get it all spread. In fact the last 10 bags I just gave to my dad to let him do as he pleased.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is all new to us and it is certainly a consideration. Before, we would just get it ton at a time, ...loading in the morning or day before. The warehousing we're looking at is definitely climate controlled, but that doesn't mean much when it comes to real high humidity rates. We may have to consider making some tighter mesh screens and perhaps some sort of hand tool like a cement trowell with a screen on it to keep somewhere on the machines and use if necessary.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Not sure how it will work with fert, but an old cement mixer the kind you break the bags and add water work great for breaking up rock salt that sits around and absorbs moisture. They can be bought cheap at auctions and rental stores

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, but I SURE won't be opening bags, pooring them into a mixer, then emptying back into bags....there isn't enough time in the world! lol