Fertilizer-Grub Control Mix

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Field General, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Field General

Field General LawnSite Member

I am going to use 21-0-8 w/merit for my second round this year due to the large amount of grub activity I witnessed last year.
    How many of you use a fert/merit mix and what are your results? I have been wondering if it would be better to just fertilize than apply the Grub Control in a separate application.

Your thoughts please.Thanks
  2. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

We have used a fertilizer grub control combo for over 10 years with outstanding results. Both Merit and Mach II have given great control. The beauty of these products is you go over the lawn once and basically provide two services. Why do twice the work! This service is by far our biggest profit margin for our company.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The second round seams a bit early...at least when I do mine (mid May-mid June) There will likely be little, if any residual left to control the grubs that hatch in the late Summer & especially Early fall. Most Universities would recommend a systemic like Merit in Mid July-mid August & not worry about the grubs you see in the Spring. They generally don't cause enough damage to warrant chemical treatment.:)
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Boy,...yes, the 2nd round WOULD be way too early if it is done when everyone elses is.
    The point that Liberty made about the grubs in the spring is a good point, and true, BUT,...I HAVE experienced some rather serious damage amounts by spring grubs, also. Though they only feed for a short time, they feed with a veracious appetite after the winter. Fortunately, the mid to late spring rains mask this damage and help the sod to stay alive until it can re-root. The times when this can make a difference is when we have seen drier spells that happen now and again. Myself, I do use Dylox in the spring - especially on non-irrigated lawns. Timing is crucial in doing this, though. there is such a small window of time to really make an effective difference. Now obviously, summer (to late summer) is the most optimum time to get these - for several obvious reasons, but sometimes, it just doesnt happen. Either you pick up a new reno job, or the customer changes their mind, or whatever. Now, there IS another point of using Dylox to get th larger grubs that are multi-year grubs that can be a few years old, but this point sort of stands moot, as these grubs are so few and far between that they really don't cause enough damage to warrant treatment, anyway. They are just eradicated subsequently. :)
  5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We like Merit best. We apply it late June to early August. We like the Merit with slow-release fert, and there's not a whole lot of difference in price compared to straight Merit. If you apply the combo product, you only make one application, but you can charge for two applications. Very profitable.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

American you are so right. Merit is expensive. We have shifted to fertilizer with Merit for our Round 3. We can charge for both applications. For those that want it, only. But...we want to do our weed control in this round also. We have not found an efficient way to do this.
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I hear ya Riggle.....on smaller lawns where we do not use a ride-on, my guys are supposed to spot spray the weeds after they spread the lawn. Too often they don't take enough time to spot spray. Spot spraying usually takes more time than spreading the fert if one does a thorough job. I treat every lawn as if it were my own, but my guys are seldom as thorough as I am. They are usually looking forward to getting off early. I think it's human nature - no matter how many times I hammer it into them how important it is to "fine tune" the lawns like they should. I've struggled over this issue for many years. Seems that unless one owns his own business, employees often take short cuts.
  8. Field General

Field General LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I am glad to hear that the results of the mix product are good. I assumed they would be, but I wanted to hear from someone who had used the product.

As for timing, I am not sure when I am going to use the merit/fert product. I usually do my second round for residential the first week of June. My third round is very dependent on the weather patterns. If it is very hot and dry in August I will hold off on the third round until the first week of September on all non-irrigated properties. The timing seems to be the most important may require quite a bit of planning.