Fertilizer in bulk?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Nate@TLCS, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where you can buy fertilizer(macro and micronutrients) in bulk. Web-site or phone number would be awesome! thanks.
  2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I've gotten away from granular sulfur coated urea almost completely, and have now converted probably 95-98% of my customer base over to liquid.
    I've found it's easier for me because I don't need as much storage room for it, and I don't have to struggle with bags in the trucks, broken bags, occasional clumps, etc.
    All that I needed to do to get set up was to establish a 'mother' poly tank to which the slow release liquids would be delivered to. And I had to buy a decent fill station apparatus and emergency liquid spill materials.
    And I had most everything else on the farm already: pump, meter, plumbing, hoses, etc.
    Liquid's nice because you can obviously tank-mix Pre-M, Merit, Talstar, or whatever you want and those product's liquid/ WS / WDG formulations, when you do the math, are A LOT CHEAPER when you buy them in that form.

The only other minor roadblock that I occasionally have to overcome with the new customer is that of the liquid vs. dry argument.
    But that's easy to overcome when I give them my (approved) references and they see them. Some of them don't realize that liquids can be encapsulated, and made to be time-release just like dry.

Start by going to morralcompanies.com

Good luck!
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Couple of questions for you regarding liquid vs dry:

1) How does the slow release liquid compare to dry?

2) Are many using the slow release liquid?

Please learn me, as the reason I ask is I have no exp with using liquid N on lawns. Do the big boys use any slow release liquid?

I always tell my new and existing customers that they are getting a much better and longer feeding (30-50%SCU) with the dry I am using.

Just curios....Thanks!
  4. Marcos

The technology to microencapsulate fertilizer was developed in the early 1980's.
    Not long after that, we began to see other stuff on the market, like some insecticides, become married with this technology. ('Demand' and 'Talstar' are examples)
    How does it compare?
    They're both slow release (to one % or another). You can see that on the Morral website.
    They both can be mowed and blown around on the lawn if not allowed to be 'rained in'.
    ....There's nothing different about them; except one leaves prills in the turf and the other leaves a milky cast on the grass.
    How many other people are using slow release liquid?
    I don't know. There's a few around me, but not many. But probably more than you and I think, as a whole. Particularly in rural areas. And some of those folks may cheat a little too and mix the microencapsulated stuff with melted urea from time to time.

Big boys?
    Greenlon in Cincy did it before they were eaten by Trugreen.
    Perf-A-Lawn did it years ago (I'm dating myself now!)
    I don't know if Trugreen uses anything responsible like this now or not?!?

To say that granular is necessarily a greener and longer feeding, though, would be an incorrect statement.
    It's just a matter of educating the customers as to what the technology is.
    Then they're O.K. with it.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thanks for the info Marcos!

I didn't hear you say anything about price. How does it compare per K compared to granular? Or let me just ask you this...how much would I save pre K going to liquid?

When I make the statement to my customer about dry vs liquid...I am comparing to "liquid urea". I know guys around here that just mix 28% and H20 and I am very sure that my 50%SCU will get me 6-8 weeks. I know their product will be long gone by then!

I would say that statement is very correct! Don't you think?
  6. Marcos

Honestly, I'm still in autumn 'cruise control' mode and haven't checked much on 2008 pricing. I know it'll be higher, though, and I subtly give notice to customers that fertilizer prices are loosley tied to petroleum, so they're used to changes now...

Last year I used primarily the 17-2-5 50% product, and it ended up costing me between .90- .95 per K on average at 1# N / 1000 sq. ft.

I don't know about your question about the other guy's melted urea.
    Seems to me they'd lose color pretty fast...
    And you know my feelings on that subject! :cry:

With what you're doing, you know you can beat them, with the customers that matter in the long run, all day long as far as quality is concerned.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

YOU didn't say what you want to use dry or liquid we use a slow release liquid fert that we buy in 275 gal mini bulks and micros in jugs or 30 gal drums does a very nice job. If you would like to know more you can PM me.
    Charles Cue
  8. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I'm glad someone brought this subject up because next year I will be doing liquid apps with weed control and fert. I have not had much luck with dry weed control in the past so I bought a 500 gallon tank to do my weed control apps. I did some experimenting with 28% with water and wasn't happy with the results

** 28% contains alot of salt so I was warned not to treat if temp above 80 degrees

** we only tried this on 20 lawns and half of them are now stripped (does the 28% mix well with water or is it heavier?

please note I do have a ride on sprayer, but I have certain accounts where there are too many sensitive plants and I"d rather drag my hose around and do a liquid weed n feed
  9. Nate@TLCS

Tru-evil Chem-scam trucks their 46-0-0 in. Do not spray 46-0-0 after 75-80 deg highs in spring and same in fall. Also, high nitrogen and no water mean dollar spot, frusarrium (?) necrotic ring spot.
  10. Nate@TLCS

Cheapest way man is 200 gallons water(lesco space saver), 9.5 quarts lesco three way (unless you have wild violets then some additive) and 200 lbs urea(4-50 lb bags mixed slowly) at 1.5 gallons per minute under 80 degrees F. costs me $.55 per 1000 ft2. only rounds 1,2 & 5 are liquid, out of 6. Rd3 is 18-3-5 grub control, Rd4 is 24-0-11 50% scu as well is rd 6. For the customers that take all six, thankyou... I look like a genius!