Fertilizer Injection Unit

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Aug 10, 2004.

1. RandalatA1Sprinklers

RandalatA1Sprinklers LawnSite Member

I talked to some guys that have been installing this for years and they did have a problem when using water soluable fert. It was building up residue and wrecking diaphrams in valves. They said it took a few years but it did happen. When they switched to liquid it solved the problem. Everyone I have talked to loves Mega Green 2-2-2.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What are your backflow regulations where you are working? If you don't have a state-wide set of rules, you may have some headaches doing fertilizer injection.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Reduced-Pressure backflow assemblies are mandatory for injection. I had heard of a organic fertilizer than was somehow spun as to be able to be applied to drip without the clogging, but R.P.s would still be called-for. I like the idea of injection.

4. RandalatA1Sprinklers

Wisconsin actually calls it chemigation and an RPZ is mandatory

5. Wet_Boots

Sounds good. We did have one fellow here working in a Wisconsin locale that was using backflow rules from some long ago dark age, and he would have had a bad time of it with the fertilizing.

6. RandalatA1Sprinklers

I believe in doing right the first time and always by the book. I am also getting certified and licensed for pest control. I will be using a product called EZ Flo Insect Control so I have to get certified in Landscape and Turf as well as Aquatic and Mosquito. It is all organic but state regs say I must so I am.

Wisconsin has a program becuse I am a Marine vet that they will waive the license fee the first year. 25 years later serving my country is still paying off. Ooh-Rah!!!!

7. Wet_Boots

Semper Fi, dude. :)

8. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I have an EZ Flo main line system, I have had it for 5+ years, I use it for all of my planting beds (sprays) and planting boxes (micro). I had it set up with spray heads on my front lawn, but with the odd shape it is nearly imposible to get an even spray over the lawn and it always ended up getting stripped. I constantly found that I had to clean the strainers at the spray heads every few weeks. What I did was use two zone valves for each zone. Basically there are two seperate manafolds. One is fed from the the injector, the other manifold is fed from the water source. My beeds are 8 zones. After the 8 zones being fed by the injector run through their program, zones 9-16 run briefly with straight water to flush the lines and strainers. So basically zone 1 is fed by valve 1 & 9, zone 2 is fed by valves 2 & 10, etc.... Since I implemented the second manifold I do not see as much of a problem, the strainers last about the same as amount of time between cleanings as the non-injected zones.

9. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

another benefit to what I just said above is the ease of changing irrigation times without having to adjust the injection dial. Normally if you increased your mater times, then you would have to decrease the injection so that you will not over feed the plants. By running with two manifolds, I can simply increase the run time of the second manifold and not have to worry about changing the settings on the injector.

10. RandalatA1Sprinklers

If it was designed correctly you should not have stripes. Do you have matched precipitation rates? Are you using water soluable fert? Liquid will not give you problems like the water soluable.

Thanks for the semper fi wetboots!