1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer injection

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by enorl76, May 14, 2014.

1. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Orlando, FL

Large residential yard, the homeowner wanted to know about fertilizer injection

I see two main types:
    - passive flow systems that rely on flow through main pipe to pull water-soluable fertilizer from storage tank (EZflow)
    - injection pumped using like a Stenner pump

Main line is 3". Using mostly RainBird popup impacts, MaxiPaws and 47/51s

Any pitfalls to using these injections? I've seen murmurings of nozzle fouling from the fertilizer.
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Is ez flow even in business anymore? I installed about 10 of them and they are junk. The nipples for the injectors are plastic and break real easy.
  3. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't done one in years. You should put an R.P. before it even in if local codes don't call for it.
    I would not install one on a residential system again unless the landscape architect calls for one.
  4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I would talk them out of it for the following reasons. Most systems I come across have poor uniformity either due to design or odd shaping of the lawn or both.

It would be difficult to determine the amount of fert one is putting down in a given area. The average person does not know how to calculate the proper amount of dry granular fert to apply to a given area much less liquid through a irrigation system.
  5. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Member
    from nunya

i installed a mazi on my system just because i wanted to educate myself and be able to inject for various reasons. my yard is simple and basic. 5 zones, squares and rectangles. my coverage is pretty efficient, but my zones varied slightly in GPM. I spent the time to re-nozzle everything to match each zones GPM more closely. Otherwise one zone would suck the container dry while others pull very little. too many variables to even consider installing on a customers property. pay someone to spray your yard a couple times a year... and if its bugs your after, install a mosquito system.

but im very happy with my mazi personally. :)
    i fertilize a few times a year with it, and inject cedar oil for pests during the summer months.

we also install a few fertile earth systems here and there, they seem to work ok, most customers use it with the low dose fertilizer/bug juice combo. verdict is still out, but im leaning towards it being an ok product for a small-medium system.
  6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Is there zero overspray or run off from the property? I am talking about even some overshoot onto the streets or sidewalks. Only way I have ever had anything to do with fertilizer injection is in a production nursery or else an athletic field. Not on a residential property.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. A well designed SDI would be the only time I might consider injection, and even then only in Ag type scenario.
  8. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Orlando, FL

Here's a pdf of my design, this is a pretty much fresh install

Note that the lake is on the bottom, so that is suction line out to the lake.

Attached Files: