1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fertilizer injector

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by muddstopper, May 2, 2006.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Looking for a good source to purchase a injector for doing subsoil root treatments in lawns and around trees. I Need one I can hook upto a hose running from a spray tank. Not the ones that have the mixing container built in and you hook a garden hose to. Anyone know of a good source.
  2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco makes one for ferting trees.
  3. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

I just seen one at lesco today, actually i used to have one i'll look for it. I dont use it.
  4. muddstopper

I dont have a lesco close to me. I guess they let you order online, I will have to check it out, thanks.

Rob, hold on to the one you got, I will Pm you a new add on to your business I think you will be interested in.
  5. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

send it on mudd................................
  6. muddstopper

You got mail.
  7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

The Lesco one had a foot-plate for pushing the probe ito the ground and found it cumbersome,heavy and virtually useless. Westheffer offers the Chemlance for about $175. It attaches to a standard jd-9 tree/shrub gun, made of aluminum and is very lightweight and for a few more dollars more comes with a splash-shield/drench cup that can be very useful when doing soil-drenches with products like Merit or Micro-nutrient apps around shallow rooted stuff like Az's/Rhodo's.
  8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I like the "green garde" model from Westheffer.

I'm tall and it saves my back. Lesco model makes me stoop too much.
  9. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

depending upon how much you want to spend, they have a treatment rod for termite treatments that will work. It is commonly called a "versi-tool". It has a "T" handle with trigger, stainless steel rod approximatly 4 foot long and will handle alot of abuse. Several manufacturers make different models, but all are perfect for what you are looking to do. I have used them to deep root inject funigicide and fertilizer into cypress root zones.
  10. Rhett@Gregson-Clark

Rhett@Gregson-Clark Sponsor

The Green Garde HD-8 Rootfeeder or "chemlance" is is in my opinion the most user friendly. The thin needle and the handle orientation make it easy to push in the ground and the cup shield is lightweight and easy to work with. The cup shield also makes it easy to drench ground-covers etc. A couple things to keep in mind- These come extra long and are meant to be cut to length. We usually cut about 6" off. Also the threaded adapter works well on the real JD9 gun from Green Garde. The knock-off JD9 guns are sometimes more difficult to thread on, at least in our experience. Customer feedback on these rootfeeders has been very positive.