Fertilizer injectors for irrigation systems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rlpsystems, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had any luck with any of these. I've seen "fertigator" and such products on systems but they never work.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why bother with them?

3. rlpsystems

Good question. Ive had alot of customer ask about them. I have seen the remains of some still connected to the controller. Seemed like a waste but who knows. I didnt know if you all (pronounced yal) had any luck or knew anything about them.

4. Wet_Boots

I still follow aspects of irrigation I don't actively participate in. FI seems like a potential backflow hassle, as you are definitely 'contaminating' the water in the system.

5. rlpsystems

Almost 90% of my installs pull water from a lake. So contamination is not an issue for potable water just run off into the lake.

6. Wet_Boots

Around a lake you don't want to be fertilizing, period, I would think. Nothing kills a lake faster than fertilizer runoff.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

They work and are available as organic; still mandated to use a R.P., though. Only a piker would permit run-off. :hammerhead:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Audit your systems first, and see how uniform they are. You may get areas that then get over fertilized, and some that get under fertilized. And the results could be apparent.

9. rlpsystems

Thanks Dana. Alot of homeowners want the easiest way to do anything available. Education goes a long way...

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I know, my suggestion is easier said than done.