1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer is it toxic for dog and baby

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by mexiking, Mar 31, 2007.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

My customer asked me this about fertilizing. "I am a little worried about the fertilizer with the dog and the baby. In the front it's not an issue, but what about in the back? Is it toxic?"

what should I reply back?
  2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

You should read the label and speak to your customer from a position of knowledge. Or, go online and print off the MSDS and give it to her.

Why are you applying a product that you do not know the effects of on people and animals?
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately I think all labels indicate that you should keep pets and children off the grass......at least the ones I have read. Go organic on the yard and be done with in that situation.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Clarify, please. Are you applying a chemical like crabgrass control, or just fertilizer alone? Fertilizer itself is not particularly toxic. Urea for instance is found naturally in every cell of the body--at high concentrations in the urine. Potassium likewise in every cell of the body. Your fertilizer manufacturer or dealer could give you more specific data
  5. mexiking

from NJ

It's Pre m Fertilizer with Dimension for crabgrass
  6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take hess's advice. Go organic on this one just to be extra cautious.

However, like Riggle said, fert. itself is not that toxic and poses little to no harm to humans.
  7. mexiking

from NJ

okay thanks for the comments guys... I think i'll suggest the organic, I don't do any organic but it's not bad to start.
  8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Follow the label advice and inform the customer that the dog/ankle biter has to stay off the treated area per re-entry period as specified.
    I treat residential and school district turf all of the time, labels exist to educate everyone about the potential hazards involved.
    I would, however, find out if the people have any hypersensitivity issues with the chemicals you wish to apply.
  9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't do organic, are you licensed to use chemicals. I only ask because of the type of inquiry this was. I believe this question is well covered in the Core Exam and pretty much every other exam for commercial application, but maybe that's just in my state?
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

that crap is toxic for everyone man. I know people who have gotten bone cancer due to weed whipping with shorts and the fertilizer getting on their skin and scrapes on their legs.