Fertilizer & lawn pest info wanted...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone think that weed & feed fertilizer is worth the extra cost considering the limited results obtained as far as weed kill in lawns? I'm ramping up to do a great deal of fertilizing in the coming months and would appreciate other opinions. The best results seem to be having the lawn wet and using a fine grained W&F fertilizer that will stick to the weeds in the lawn, but even then results are less than stellar in my opinion. I'm entertaining the idea of just going with a straight fertilizer and advising the homeowner to have a professional lawn spray company treat for weeds. Either that or spray with an applicator strictly for selective weed kill in the lawn. I'm also thinking that with proper fertilization and sufficient water,(along with lawn mowing), many of the scattered weed problems will be taken care of by healthy turf eventually.
    Question #2. Is the effectiveness of Oftanol over Dursban for grub & mole cricket control worth the extra cost? Will Dursban be off market in the near future?
    Thanks for input, much appreciated as always.
    Bassman

[Edited by Bassman on 02-10-2001 at 09:52 PM]

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The weed and feed that we use requries that the lawn be dry first then an application of water after. We get great results. The healthy cut yard will take care of itself, but takes a little longer.

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 02-10-2001 at 10:17 PM]

3. Bassman

LoneStarLawn... I'm very interested in what type weed & feed you use that produces great results. Especially since you say it's applied on dry lawn and then watered in, like straight fertilizer?
    Thanks.
    Bassman

[Edited by Bassman on 02-10-2001 at 10:22 PM]

4. LoneStarLawn

Scotts Bonus S....Water after application to ensure control and to help move the granulars from the foliage of the grass to the soil. This weed & feed is limited to certain grasses, mostly St.Augustine

5. Bassman

LoneStarLawn... Thanks for your input. Scotts Bonus S is what I have found to be the most efficient but have applied it on dry and wet lawns. The weed killing agent seems to work best when it sticks to the wet weeds and then no watering for a day or so after. I've had some success with it but still had a lot of weeds remaining after application, perhaps I need to apply more heavily. Thanks for your reply.
    Bassman

[Edited by Bassman on 02-10-2001 at 10:38 PM]

6. LoneStarLawn

In fact I belive the instructions stipulate that you apply it to a dry lawn. Check it I may be wrong, but it works well that way. Most applications that require pest control (grubs, etc.) and weed control require a dry lawn then water in after application. You a treating the soil as well as the weed so it needs to get to the root.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the only weed control i use is scotts. i have found that the powdery stuff that sticks to the weeds works the best. if u used a good preemergent at first app, u should have no problem

8. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

If you are not licensed in the State of Florida, you can not put down Weed & Feed. Check with your local Ag. Agent.
    You Can not legaly use Roundup if you are not licensed.