1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

fertilizer license in Indiana

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Fullthrottlemowing, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Fullthrottlemowing

Fullthrottlemowing LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in mowing and lawn care and was hoping to get my fertilizing license. only I don't know if I can take the just the fertilizer exam which is the category 14 test or if that one is just good for farm use. I've looked it up on the oisc website and there is a lot of different exams I can take but I'm just looking to get into fertilizing right and build as I get bigger so can anyone that know bout what test i need to take to get my license please let me know thanks

2. give them a call and talk with them, they don't bite.

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Actually depending on who you get ahold of, they DO bite! You'll need to get the study guide through Purdue and then take the Core exam. You can then take the single day classes through Purdue for your category 3b and 3a licenses. I think they also offer an experience class which is a 2 day class to fulfill the experience requirement. Not 100% sure how that works though as I had experience as an RT under another applicator.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Used to be you didn't have to be licensce in Indiana for fertilizer applications only, however now you have to hold a 3b license. As the last post says you need to take a core test and a 3b test either have worked under a certified applicator for 90 days or attend a training class for 2 days. The class is general only offered twice per year, a real pain trying too schedule to attend.

5. Fullthrottlemowing

I went ahead and got the study guide this spring so ive got that out of the way and the 3b is everything lawn care like spraying fert and pest control for lawns? And thanks for the help everyone

6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

3 b covers anything turf related , not trees or shrubs however. Just be sure to stay up in Columbus when you get licensed :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Fullthrottlemowing

I think I can manage to do that. Thanks for your help

8. Mike A

Mike A LawnSite Member

3b also covers herbicide applications for weeds in landscaping, but just as Eggy said, no apps to trees or shrubs...
    Posted via Mobile Device